Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS EM Schirmmütze

Article about: Hi, I showed pics of this cap to a cap collector of this forum, and I would like to share these in order to get some more information on it. I might sell it to someone who can use a first cl

Default SS EM Schirmmütze

Hi,

I showed pics of this cap to a cap collector of this forum, and I would like to share these in order to get some more information on it. I might sell it to someone who can use a first class exellent condition 'filler'
    It's a perfect condition 55-56 sized SS EM visor cap lacking the insignia. According to the small holes through the lining there once have been two previous sets of insignia on this cap. The pasteboard of the cap is black colored and none of the materials is glowing. The shape is quite nice as you can see.
    It's our belief however that this is an early, very well made fake most likely using wartime materials beyond any doubt. First ideas where going towards an early Älteste Schirmmütze, but according to another collector this is not the case. At this point I'm not really sure yet at whose product I'm looking here.
    Does anyone else has photos of very good fakes like this to share??

Kind regards,
    Gerd V

SS EM Schirmmütze

SS EM Schirmmütze

SS EM Schirmmütze

SS EM Schirmmütze

SS EM Schirmmütze

SS EM Schirmmütze

SS EM Schirmmütze

SS EM Schirmmütze

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS EM Schirmmütze
    P
    Many

SS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeI do not believe this cap was made in the 1960s. I do recall such caps as made in the FRG of said epoch by a local German here in No. America, who went to cap makers of the epoch for recreations superior to the Atwood/Berlin Aelteste Muetzenfabrik caps, but such caps had plastic sweat shields and were officers' caps.

I also recall fake caps in West Berlin ca. 1975 for various services with the Havana brown cotton lining, and from real wartime textiles for enlisted ranks and minus a sweat diamond entirely.

This at a time when contract, i.e. Kammerexemplar, enlisted Army caps of pre 1945 make were plentiful and cheap.

Enlisted grey SS caps were not generally faked, but the grey officer caps were, indeed, faked.

Also, look in the auction and collector exchange catalogs of the epoch. You will not likely find such a piece there.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 11-12-2014 at 05:21 AM.

Could it be that this is the first case of an original cap masquerading as a "copy" ?

I am aware that I am being a mite flippant here but this cap does look interesting.

Quote by Bochmann View Post
    Could it be that this is the first case of an original cap masquerading as a "copy" ?

I am aware that I am being a mite flippant here but this cap does look interesting.
    This is a valid observation in my opinion.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    This is a valid observation in my opinion.
    Bob Coleman has rich experience back to the early 1950s, a time, when, what fakes existed, were dwarfed by the pile of real material.

At the risk of goring more than one ox, especially grey SS peaked caps are a contested and conflicted area, where the absence of a chance to examine something in hand with time and reflection
    leads to more than one false positive; that is, I do think that many authentic caps that somehow diverge from collector dogma are, in turn, damned with group think.

I cannot generalize about this cap here, but I have seen essentially mint, authentic grey SS caps in West Germany of the final Helmut Schmidt era stripped of insignia for EIGHTY DOLLARS in the 1980s that were completely real. I was not collecting at the time, but such things have existed.

SS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeSS EM SchirmmützeMr. Mint has a compendium of contested and or fake caps, many of which I would love the chance to examine.

We have included many, many images of real caps, which tend to be worn and beaten up and also rather flimsy.

A 1950s fake to which Bob can attest, the Erich Beinhorn fake black SS officer's cap, which predated the Br. Beuer and or Atwood caps, and was superior in quality, but a 1950s cap.

Hello,

Thank you for your opinions. It's an interesting cap indeed.

Kind regards,
    Gerd V