Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Essen Abschnitte V....

Article about: Hello everyone, I purchased this sign of sorts, from a UK auction, Bishop and Miller, came in the mail today. Just to give a general idea, it's almost 3' by 2', nice size, way bigger then ex

Default SS Essen Abschnitte V....

Hello everyone,
    I purchased this sign of sorts, from a UK auction, Bishop and Miller, came in the mail today. Just to give a general idea, it's almost 3' by 2', nice size, way bigger then expected. As per item description, the SS unit in Essen in 1938, was Allgemeine SS, Abschnitte V, (SS District V) part of SS Oberanschitte West, at that time the brigade was commanded by Fritz Schlessmann. Pretty badass. If anyone has any ideas, if this would have been in front marking the building? Or inside, if a Banquet style Hall, or Speakers area even? Has anyone ever seen anything similar? Anyway, I've included pics of the back, as well, as the hardware: flathead screws, and nails. Also, a pic on my lazy boy, just for reference of size. There is a pic of close up of the tile moziac. Anyway, glad to see it arrive.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Essen Abschnitte V....   SS Essen Abschnitte V....  

SS Essen Abschnitte V....   SS Essen Abschnitte V....  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Essen Abschnitte V....
    P
    Many

?

Very unusual! There are not many TR mosaic/tiled pieces around...a period pic would really be an asset to this item...

interesting

I've been looking everywhere, I was hoping posting here someone might have seen something.

early days !

CBH
    ?

As a person who had laid tiles before, let me just say is was done very poorly.
    I'd expect much tighter cleaner lines with even grout lines.
    If a tiler made this in 1938, it must have been his first day on the job.
    More likely made last month and how will you ever be able to tell.

Very interesting,, Not sure if I have ever seen anything like this before either..

Looks like the back wood is from the top of a crate or something.. I will have to look through some books to see what I can maybe find..

Would expect to see something like this in a Beer hall or meeting place building....

Smitty

?

What is "Essen-1" ?

Ive never seen any group of SS personnel referred to that way.

1938 is far from what is considered as the "early days" things were quite established (albeit changing often with rapid expansion). We are pretty far from the Beer Hall days of the Putsch.

I am not a believer in most of these SS "handicrafts" most are made to fool the uneducated.

Quote by jHAM View Post
    What is "Essen-1" ?

Ive never seen any group of SS personnel referred to that way.

1938 is far from what is considered as the "early days" things were quite established (albeit changing often with rapid expansion). We are pretty far from the Beer Hall days of the Putsch.

I am not a believer in most of these SS "handicrafts" most are made to fool the uneducated.
    I could be wrong. As taken from wikipedia:

SS-Abschnitt ("SS-District"): The Abschnitt commands were formed in the early 1930s from the old SS-Brigades. The function and operation was essentially the same as with the Oberabschnitt, but the units were usually commanded by an SS-Brigadeführer or Oberführer. SS-Abschnitt's were annotated in correspondence with Roman numerals while the Oberabschnitt commands were given proper names. As with the Oberabschnitt commanders, once World War II began many Abschnitt leaders became corresponding SS and Police Leaders for their areas.

I assumed: SS-Abaschnitt, would be SS-District, in this case the District being, "Essen," as said above followed by a roman numeral, in this case, "I," for, "1."
    So in this case: "SS-Essen I," or possibly even, representing for the next least regiment (standarte.) IDK, just a thought.

Quote by CBH View Post
    As a person who had laid tiles before, let me just say is was done very poorly.
    I'd expect much tighter cleaner lines with even grout lines.
    If a tiler made this in 1938, it must have been his first day on the job.
    More likely made last month and how will you ever be able to tell.
    I've worked for several tile layers, as well, my thoughts exactly. I included the close up pic for that reason. I don't know what tools were used then for tiles, but it looks to me like a tile nipper all the way, as opposed as a wet saw. Maybe even scrap tiles at that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast