Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

SS-FM Patron Pin

Article about: Can someone tell me what would be a reasonable price to ask for this pin? I bought this in Berlin from a street vendor outside the ruins of the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche in 1957. In th

Default SS-FM Patron Pin

Can someone tell me what would be a reasonable price to ask for this pin? I bought this in Berlin from a street vendor outside the ruins of the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche in 1957. In those days there were dozens of such vendors selling badges, costume jewelry, and assorted stuff by the box-full. The prices were rock-bottom and it was a collector’s mother-lode. It’s an oval stick-pin, 2cm X 1.5cm. It is in excellent shape and definitely genuine. On the back side are stamped:
    D

Ges. Gesch.

Deschler MCHN 9

SS-FM Patron Pin

SS-FM Patron Pin
    The pin was given to patrons of the SS who paid a set monthly amount to the SS. The Patrons did not have to be Party members. Thanks. Dwight

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-FM Patron Pin
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS-FM Patron Pin

Hi Dwight, these Förderndes Mitglied der SS pins vary in price, but the average is around $450.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade: Thanks for the quick reply. I have read some of your posts on similar subjects, so I know that your estimate is both reliable and fair. Thank you. Dwight

My pleasure and thanks for the kind comments.

I have a SS-FM membership book in my collection. Here are a few scans just for interests sake.

There is a little story behind my buying the buch: I bought it at a local auction in Nottingham about 20 years ago now. I went to the auction house to view the lots. There was a plastic bag which contained numerious items: a real mixture of paperwork, a cigarette card album and cloth insignia, all of which were original, but nothing spectacular, apart from the SS-FM book. In the auction catalog all were mentioned, but not the SS -FM book. Come the bidding, myself and my late and much missed friend, the Nottingham based dealer, Mike Long, were the only two people to bid. I won the auction after which Mike came over to ask why I had out bid him on what was really just common place items? It turned out Mike had not looked inside the plastic bag! Mike said a few choice words! But as usual he took it in good heart.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-FM Patron Pin   SS-FM Patron Pin  

SS-FM Patron Pin   SS-FM Patron Pin  

SS-FM Patron Pin  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade: That is terrific. I have a copy of Organisationsbuch der NSDAP, 3. Auflage, Zentralverlag der NSDAP, Münichen, 1937, which I have used for specific research topics. It's one of several vintage references books I have on military history. I have posted my FM Mitglied pin for sale at $400 on this forum. Thanks again for your help. Dwight

Hi Dwight, you cannot beat original period documentation for research.

I think $400 is a fair price.

These pins are always serial numbered and marked with an alpha (letter) prefix. Certain alpha prefixes are harder to find than others. This code letter can be found positioned above the number on some groups, such as the "A" "C" "D" & "E" series. Others groups will be found with the letter positioned directly in front of the number.

As well as being found in stick pin form, these badges can also be found with a broach pin format. The back of the badge is slightly different to allow for the pin fitting. Very rarely it is possible to find a pin back design badge, but fitted with a stick pin.

There was of course the special FM-Ehrennadeln given to members who supported the SS during the Kampfzeit. These are partially researchable. The regular issues are sadly not.

The average payment most contributors made was 1RM per month. By 1936 Oswald Pohl had declared that this revenue stream for the SS had really had it's day. Members also got "FM-Zeitschrift" magazine monthly, which ran from 1934 until September 1939. These magazine can be found in yearly bound volumes too.

A car pennant was available for purchase by SS-FM members from 1934 onwards. Beware fantasy armbands based upon this design!

I should also add that the scheme was extended into the occupied countries after 1940. Pins can be found marked "BL" on the front instead of "FM". These followed the same basic design to the front as the German counterpart, or can be found in diamond shaped format.

Dutch; Begunstigende Leden
    Flemish; Beschermende leden

The Norwegian version (Germanske SS Norge) Støttende Medlemmer pin was a unique design being oval in shape.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade: Thanks for the valuable and interesting information. Do you know what the aplpha prefix denotes? And is there an accessible central registry for the alpha and serial number? My guess is that it might be in the Berlin Document Center, which is now under German control and virtually impossible to access. I used it twice while the US Army controlled in the late 1980's and early 90's. Thanks again. Dwight

Hi Dwight, the whole issue of the alpha prefix is clouded in mystery. The answer clearly lies in the BDC and NARA. I have it on good authority it is there, but someone local needs to go and dig it out. A friend of mine has been compiling a data base of number for some years now. He can research some FM-Ehrennadeln badges. These are from snippets of info from different files and not some kind of centralised list.

A, C, D, E, F, H, J, K & L are known prefixes. F & H are hard to find and the rarest seems to be the 'J' prefixed pin. The FM-Ehrennadeln had an "S" prefix. It is assumed (always fatal I know!) that this means either "silver" or "special"?

I should mention all the German SS-FM pins were only made by the firm of Deschler of Munich. But there are some different dies used so all are not the same. Makers markings can also be found on the top half of the badge.

Shown below is the"A" alpha prefix pin in both stick and broach pin formats: Note the reversed letter 'n' and the 's' which looks like a 'z'.

(Pics care of my friend Raymond G)

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-FM Patron Pin   SS-FM Patron Pin  

Here we have the various national badges I mentioned earlier along with the payment books. Left to right:

German, Norge, Flemish and Dutch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-FM Patron Pin  

This one nicely illustrates two points I made earlier.

This is the die specially designed to take the broach pin format. Note the slot provided to accept the pin.

Plus it also shows the makers mark to the top half of the badge as well.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-FM Patron Pin  

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast