Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87

Article about: I am looking for any pics of the Edelweiss collar insgnia of this regiment Hope you can help Nick

Default SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87

I am looking for any pics of the Edelweiss collar insgnia of this regiment

Hope you can help

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87

Hi Nick, I am sure some have been shown on the forum in the past?

Try a search.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade I have tried a few times on the search but nothing has come up yet

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Hello Wolfspear,

Here are some:

1. I don't remember where from
    2. from forum.axishistory.com
    3. from The Collector's Guild
    4. from Flying Tiger Antiques Historical Collectibles and Americana
    5. from forum.axishistory.com
    6. from www.relicsofthereich.com

Please look closer at the picture 6. This is definitely an SS-Mann, but his right collar tab looks very strange to me. The position of the Edelweiss flower is not typical for the 87 SS-Standarte, but it just cannot be anything else. What do you think about it?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87   SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87  

Attached Images Attached Images SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87  SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87  SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87  SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87 

Quote by makoff View Post
    Please look closer at the picture 6. This is definitely an SS-Mann, but his right collar tab looks very strange to me. The position of the Edelweiss flower is not typical for the 87 SS-Standarte, but it just cannot be anything else. What do you think about it?
    The collar patch emblem in picture no. 6 is definitely an EdelweiƟ flower design, but it looks different from other known examples of the collar patch as used by the 87th SS-Standarte and the XXXVIth SS-Abschnitt. Actually, I wonder if this could be a metal version.
    Andrew Mollo illustrates what appears to a metal version in Vol. I of his "Uniforms of the SS" series and below is a comparison with an example that was discussed on one of the other forums; if I recall correctly, no definitive judgment was found on whether it was genuine or not. (Please note that I do not own this item.)
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87 

Thanks guys for the pics First time I have seen close ups of this insignia. Interesting Edelweiss in pic 6 as you say.
    I will keep researching this

Thanks again

Nick

Might I raise a point that interests me. Do the original documents use the phrase "Fuss Standarte" for the regular Standarten of the Allgemeine SS? Does this term appear in, say, the SS Befehlsblatt? Or in the official correspondence? Or in the price lists of the RZM?
    I know, for instance, that it does NOT appear in the rank list and in its abbreviations. Or am I mistaken? See enclosure.

I know that Mollo used this term as an English translation of the non specialized regiments in the Allgem. SS. To be sure, the mounted Standarten are called "Reiterstandarten" etc.

By the way, I have enormous respect for Mollo and think his books are still the top of the field, but this issue has made me curious since so much of the original documents are now easily at hand and translation is an art, after all. I do not want to detract from the art of same, but the issue is when one uses German terms that do not really fit the era.

Thanks to colleague Makoff for the nice illustrations. For ten years have I been trying to buy a black uniform with this badge, with no success. Colleague Hritz has a nice one, but the one I am after is farther afield.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87   SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87  

Your faith in Mollo can remain deservedly undiminished. Period documents, such as the SS Statistical Yearbooks, do refer to a regiment as a Fuss Standarte.
    d'alquen
    Last edited by d'alquen; 06-22-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Your faith in Mollo can remain deservedly undiminished. Period documents, such as the SS Statistical Yearbooks, do refer to a regiment as a Fuss Standart.
    d'alquen
    Thanks, indeed. Your observation is the first I have seen of this term in the original German, as I have not seen it in the SS documents. It is no great point. Was the term "Fuss Standarte" also used in the SA?

The point I would make, though, which is a different one from my query here, is the tendency especially among some English speaking collectors to make up a new vocabulary for regalia as well as organizations in the Nazi state and the German military. This phenomenon is a feature of globalization as well as a club mentality. "Crush cap" becomes "Knautschmuetze," and I am never really sure what it is. Yet seldom does one use the actual military slang of the era, which is always more interesting.

There is more precision in the use of the original German, which is often a requirement too difficult to levy here or anywhere.

Mollo remains superior to all the other works because he linked the organizational development of the SS with its regalia. None of the other works, despite all their colored pictures, achieve this goal.

But there are also plainly errors in all of these works, as well as grey spots that do not make sense in light of more evidence as it has accumulated in the last four decades.

There also probably less than five people on the face of the planet who even care about what I have written above.

Thanks to colleague Derek for the intervention. I am getting closer to the day when I can devote all my energies to this issue and not be diverted by my other cares.
    Froehliche Fuesse!

PS in this case, their feet were likely cold.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87 
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-22-2010 at 03:55 PM.

I have just seen this example for sale. Please can you offer your respected opinions

Many thanks

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Fuss-Standarte Regiment 87  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast