Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS gorget

Article about: a wrongen.

Default SS gorget

Hello, this is my first post after years of just looking. This gorget came from a vets estate. All of the daggers, flags, and badges from that estate were 100% correct, but I would like your opinion on this gorget. I have found three different fakes on the Internet, and this one is MUCH better made. It is nice and thick like my other gorgets. It shows wear on the chain holes. And it has great patina. The chain has lost nearly all of its nickel plating, but some is still present here and there. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS gorget
    P
    Many

First impressions are the chain looks kind of hokey and to be mounted to the gorget simply by drilled holes? Does not appear up to typical TR quality standards and certainly not the standards of the SS IMO.

I'm not liking this piece much. I don't remember ever seeing a simple link chain like this used on Any type of gorget before. And, as Glenn pointed out, the construction is certainly not what one would have expected to see for an SS item.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Definitely a fake....here is its brother, advertised as a "KZ Gorget"...No knowledgeable SS collector would be fooled by this crap...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS gorget  

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Definitely a fake....here is its brother, advertised as a "KZ Gorget"...No knowledgeable SS collector would be fooled by this crap...
    cheers, Glenn
    That is not it's brother by any means. Look at the rounded edges of the SS runes on the "Dachau" piece. I have Aso examined one of those repros, and they are thin and flimsy. What does an "original" KZ gorget look like? Is the "Dachau" piece a fantasy item, or a copy of an original?

?

There is a photo in volume 4 of Andrew Mollos Uniforms of the SS that shows a gorget like this being worn. I think the chain was kind of like this. You can't call this a fantasy item. A reals one has to be super rare. I remember seeing lots of these fakes on eBay before the ban.

I'd like to see that photo...But this gorget doesn't have the quality/workmanship of a period piece...Nor have I ever seen an original SS gorget related to the KZ System...Wait for FB to chime in, as this is his field of study...
    cheers, Glenn

?

Here is a copy of the picture in the Mollo book. I guess this photo gave the fakers the idea to make these.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS gorget   SS gorget  

The gorget in the camp photo has it's chain attached by large round ring links. Also, the runes are smaller and are some distance from the edge bead, where as the one posted here has larger runes that go right up to the edge. The shape of the posted gorget does not align with the gorget in the photo either, as it's horns are more angular and sharper pointed-whereas the photo shows a much more rounded and curved shape. I would say that the one posted is a reproduction that has details that do not match up with the one shown in the photo.

A good job finding the photo, Kirby!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks for the photo...unfortunately, the devil is in the details...
    cheers, Glenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast