Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Greatcoat...or is it?

Article about: This overcoat just appeared on the Collectors' Guild site. At first glance, it looks fine, but that RZM tag...

?

Default SS Greatcoat...or is it?

This overcoat just appeared on the Collectors' Guild site. At first glance, it looks fine, but that RZM tag...

SS Greatcoat...or is it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Greatcoat...or is it?
    P
    Many

You betcha. Someone should write to Whammond. That is plainly reverse engineered from our pictures. Donnerwetter!

Of course, I'd have to look at the thing, and I really do not want to march into Whammond's parade. He is a fine dealer and fastidious in his work.
    However, there is a challenge response cycle here where our good work is the basis for felony. It is one reason I gave up here. Arran is a fine man
    and there is no need now to have a defecation on dealer thread, which I will not endorse at all.

This is a very imperfect art, and the incentives to larceny are very high and we often support it with our naive desire to share knowledge.

Es kotzt mich an!

What a shame. I like the Whammond site. Even experts make mistakes.

Quote by carpediem View Post
    What a shame. I like the Whammond site. Even experts make mistakes.
    Let me plain: Whammond runs an excellent site. For decades he has had thousands and thousands of superb items, some of
    which I am very happy to own. The plebicite about dealers is one reason I packed this in for four months,
    and am happy to depart again. The real shame here is that this site and others like it enable the faker to do his larceny.
    I did not examine this coat. I may be wrong. However, Arran and I are keen observers of fake SS RZM tags.
    The shame is that the innocent and naive wish of some of us to aid the collector, to which we are forced every hour
    with these endless "is it real" pleas then results in the refinement of fakes. In this case, the refinement of an item,
    the Mantel SS, which has not been well faked. Here is, I think, a well made fake, which would fool many.
    Not me, because I have five of the cussed things that I have collected over five decades....and on and on.

I rely on the Whammond site as a means of reference so as to be the patient and unflappable hall monitor and play ground supervisor who is demeaned by persons with a grammar school eduation or not even that.

The burdens of said role in the digital idiom are the real shame, especially with the misunderstanding a minute that is social media.SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?

I agree with you. Some of the "is it real?" queries may even be themselves fakers attempting to refine their work. The shame I referred to is the Whammond site falling victim to a faker and thus losing an investment. I still like his site and have no doubt he doesn't seek to deceive. It is also unfortunate that some are so easily separated from their money without due diligence, thusly enabling the fakers to profit. I did enjoy your photos FB, especially of that table, but I fully understand and agree with your points.

Thanks. I have written before that the mental burden on most people of trying to sort it all out leads to a collective madness.
    The overcoat seems to me to be an imitation of those we have posted, or someone has added a fake label.
    The thing I see here is missing some very refined details, which I will not explain.
    And that is a guess, like the canals on Mars, and maybe even not as poetic an undertaking all the same.
    I hold Whammond in high esteem and have watched his vetting efforts, which are comprehensive and thoughtful.
    He has done so for decades, in my view, and that's something.
    Even the very best dealers have errors, just as each one of us is anything other than infallible.
    When robots collect militaria and also vett fake military and also fake militaria, then we can all relax.SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?SS Greatcoat...or is it?

?

I agree with F-B that the Collectors' Guild site is typically an excellent source of material, and one which I have personally been a customer of as well as consignor to for many years. Peter W. is very knowledgeable, and thoroughly honest. The give-away on this overcoat is a very subtle one...

I cannot think of one dealer who has not posted something questionable or dubious in my searches. One cannot expect 100% accuracy, we would like to think it should be.

Quote by Arran View Post
    I agree with F-B that the Collectors' Guild site is typically an excellent source of material, and one which I have personally been a customer of as well as consignor to for many years. Peter W. is very knowledgeable, and thoroughly honest. The give-away on this overcoat is a very subtle one...
    Bravo!

- - ------- - -

Quote by real steel View Post
    I cannot think of one dealer who has not posted something questionable or dubious in my searches. One cannot expect 100% accuracy, we would like to think it should be.
    Well said!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast