Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS Hauptamt Tunic

Article about: by BOB COLEMAN This is the purpose for which this Forum exists. No nastiness, no ridiculous comments. We all will learn at one time or another by being a member of this Forum which Ade so wi

Default SS Hauptamt Tunic

Hi all,

Seeking opinion on SS uniform at below link.

WW2 German SS Uniform - SS Hauptamt Tunic

Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Hauptamt Tunic
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: SS Hauptamt Tunic

This group looks rather odd, the hat cord does match the piping, and also does look like it is the right cord for this hat and the inside of the hat is not very convincing imo. The tunic looks okay but I would wait for others opinions on this group
    Sean F

there's a lot going on here. yes.

the cord is plain bad. label issues. tab issues etc.

the real experience will be along shortly, but to my inexperienced eyes... this one is not for me.

Personally, I agree with templehof that this grouping has issues.

If you then factor in the rather bedraggled appearance, the mismatched insignia and the rather hefty price tag, this is not for the faint hearted or the uninitiated and it would not be for me either.

the boots look exactly like riding boots of the kind i'd wear for jumping or dressage.

?

Personally, there are many things I like about this grouping. While it is true that the cap is in less than stellar condition, it is genuine. I believe it was previously discussed on this forum and others also feel it conforms to customary expectations. I like the label and the interrior, it just needs some restoration. I think the price is high but these things don't come cheap when genuine. For the price, I would like to see the items in better condition. My definition of excellent condition diverges here from the seller's. I would like a closer inspection of the textile as it is not what I immediately expect from that of an officer's Montur. As for the collar insignia, they do seem out of step with the condition of the Rock and Mantel. Not a perfect grouping, but not the worst example I have seen via the electronic medium. As always, detailed scrutiny of something of this order in person is required before formulating a final analysis.

Regards,

CMH

There are a number of issues already indentified, this ensemble is in not in excellent condition, quite moth bitten. Having said that I think the tunic and greatcoat are original, I don't like the application of the insignia or the originality of the cap in its entirity. The boots are what I would expect from an Officer with cavalry exposure. Just my thoughts, Regards, Grant.

- - Updated - -

There are a number of issues already indentified, this ensemble is in not in excellent condition, quite moth bitten. Having said that I think the tunic and greatcoat are original, I don't like the application of the insignia or the originality of the cap in its entirity. The boots are what I would expect from an Officer with cavalry exposure. Just my thoughts, Regards, Grant.

SS Hauptamt TunicSS Hauptamt TunicSS Hauptamt TunicSS Hauptamt Tunic
    Quote by DrCMH View Post
    Personally, there are many things I like about this grouping. While it is true that the cap is in less than stellar condition, it is genuine. I believe it was previously discussed on this forum and others also feel it conforms to customary expectations. I like the label and the interrior, it just needs some restoration. I think the price is high but these things don't come cheap when genuine. For the price, I would like to see the items in better condition. My definition of excellent condition diverges here from the seller's. I would like a closer inspection of the textile as it is not what I immediately expect from that of an officer's Montur. As for the collar insignia, they do seem out of step with the condition of the Rock and Mantel. Not a perfect grouping, but not the worst example I have seen via the electronic medium. As always, detailed scrutiny of something of this order in person is required before formulating a final analysis.

Regards,

CMH
    A sound analysis. We already discussed the cap, which is quite real, just somewhat worse for wear. The SS Hauptamt also had oversight of the Reiter units of the SS as well as the training establishment. A piece of this kind can only superficially be analyzed via these images, which are not especially clear. As Dr. CMH notes, one has to examine it in hand. Further, those who expect to find this material in an undamaged, perfect and unworn state are liable to be gulled into the purchase of well made fakes from notorious north German tricksters. I sent these images to a very senior SS collector whose material is seen in all the leading illustrated door stop books. He gave this Montur his approval, with the note that these things do not always appear in a state of perfection. The insignia might have been stripped and reattached. However, as the owner of more than one of these things, you would be more than baffled by how such insignia are attached. Not everyone went to Holters each week for this task.

Notice how on the these respective tags are attached with the machine and the additional RZM tag is done by hand. This kind of conundrum drives many collectors to insanity. The reality of the past is conflicted, especially for the simple minded in search of a check list to eradicate the uncertainty that always adheres to these contradictory remnants of the past. The idea of text book, as well as the facile and misleading lists attached as "stickies" especially on the wombat site are a source of fame for their authors and generalized misery for those who try to make reality conform to them.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-23-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Thumbs up Re: SS Hauptamt Tunic

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    A sound analysis. We already discussed the cap, which is quite real, just somewhat worse for wear. The SS Hauptamt also had oversight of the Reiter units of the SS as well as the training establishment. A piece of this kind can only superficially be analyzed via these images, which are not especially clear. As Dr. CMH notes, one has to examine it in hand. Further, those who expect to find this material in an undamaged, perfect and unworn state are liable to be gulled into the purchase of well made fakes from notorious north German tricksters.
    Thank you all for your valued opinions.

Regards, Ron

i would like to know more about the boots. i too don't see anything wrong with the uniform or boots per se even with my relative lack of experience. just questioning aspects of the tabs, hat cord of course, and labels. with the labels etc... you learn. which i love doing here.

my question about the boots is that i wear this type for riding. they are very, very expensive and have a very short life on asphalt or sidewalks. walking in them much degrades the soles very quickly. i understand there are Reiter units. My question is, would these types of boots be worn for riding exclusively with some other pair used for daily use?

if i imagine myself wearing this type of boot with a uniform, i'd have to have a pair for riding and a pair with heel plates for daily wear. otherwise, i'd be looking at spending money on having the boots resoled every few months.

this may seem like a pretty mundane question, but in an everyday sense for one of these men it would have mattered. i just wonder what the practice was.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast