Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

SS Infanterie Schirmmuetze. The real deal or?...

Article about: IMO this hat that arrived today is a good one. However, I'd like your opinions as well. I will post more details later today but here are a few photos I took quickly earlier today. Best, And

Default Re: SS Infanterie Schirmmuetze. The real deal or?...

Bob, thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

F-B, you're right, it looks very similar to mine, except for the leather sweat band.
    Perhaps my cap was born in Wien too. Who knows?

Kindest

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Infanterie Schirmmuetze. The real deal or?...
    P
    Many

Quote by Anders S View Post
    Bob, thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

F-B, you're right, it looks very similar to mine, except for the leather sweat band.
    Perhaps my cap was born in Wien too. Who knows?

Kindest
    Dear Anders, I bought it in Wien. I have no idea where or who made it. In the 1990s one could still find some nice pieces in Wien. This cap of mine (which I sold in 2006) had character, but also starke Tragespuren, as well. In any case, hold on to the cap you have bought.

Here are some other examples of similar things in No. America. I think one of these is from the Delich collection.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Infanterie Schirmmuetze. The real deal or?...   SS Infanterie Schirmmuetze. The real deal or?...  

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Dear Anders, I bought it in Wien. I have no idea where or who made it. In the 1990s one could still find some nice pieces in Wien. This cap of mine (which I sold in 2006) had character, but also starke Tragespuren, as well. In any case, hold on to the cap you have bought.

Here are some other examples of similar things in No. America. I think one of these is from the Delich collection.
    Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you knew they were made in Wien.

These hats a lovely. I have been sitting staring and examining this one, more or less the whole day.

There is great joy in ownership, to be sure, especially since these things are worshiped on the websites in the abstract, and one sees the image in historical pictures with a particular hypnotic quality. But, the war time grey caps are deficient in quality to other SS caps, especially the black caps from the era of about 1933 until say 1937 or so. These earlier black caps are made of better material, and with superior craftsmanship. But such is my taste, and I am in the minority.

However, there is a special thrill in securing something inexpensively and it is very hard to find these grey caps in above average shape. They are usually worn out.

Happy headwear.

?

Yippee! I knew it was a good one. Just one crazy mother of a seller.

Well done my friend, I'm very pleased for you but also a bit sad for myself now.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Yippee! I knew it was a good one. Just one crazy mother of a seller.

Well done my friend, I'm very pleased for you but also a bit sad for myself now.
    Hi My friend,

Yes, it was your "Beware of this dealer" thread which started the whole thing.
    Funny thing, there must have been a lot of people who read that thread... Strange that no one else decided to have a "go" when you decided not to. I waited for days myself.
    Anyway, I'm happy no one did.

But I must tell you, I was very worried for a while, when I had sent him the payment and was waiting for the hat...

So, it all turned out very well. (For me.) And I actually do believe that you are able to be happy with me. I'll buy you a couple of beers the next time I'm in London.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Anders-
    100% correct. It is a twin to the cap I have with no sweatshield. As in the case of my hats, the buttons are RZM marked. A gray SS officer's cap bought as a police cap. What a find!!! Congratulations. You will likely have to spend a great more for correct insignia than you paid for the cap itself.
    Bob, this is the cap you're thinking of, isn't it? (Really nice items btw.)
    Totenkopf Officer's Mantel & Visor Cap

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    There is great joy in ownership, to be sure, especially since these things are worshiped on the websites in the abstract, and one sees the image in historical pictures with a particular hypnotic quality. But, the war time grey caps are deficient in quality to other SS caps, especially the black caps from the era of about 1933 until say 1937 or so. These earlier black caps are made of better material, and with superior craftsmanship. But such is my taste, and I am in the minority.

However, there is a special thrill in securing something inexpensively and it is very hard to find these grey caps in above average shape. They are usually worn out.

Happy headwear.
    I honestly don't know, I have only seen grey caps in hand. However, I'm certain that I will see black caps in hand in the future too.
    And I believe you when you say they're made of better material and craftsmanship.

Bob, this is the cap you're thinking of, isn't it? (Really nice items btw.)
    Totenkopf Officer's Mantel & Visor Cap
    Yes, that cap is identical to yours.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I honestly don't know, I have only seen grey caps in hand. However, I'm certain that I will see black caps in hand in the future too.
    And I believe you when you say they're made of better material and craftsmanship.
    One day I shall show you... in the meantime, enjoy your new possession.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast