Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS insignia from the Ostmark

Article about: by d'alquen I believe the men in post #38 are at the SS camp for Austrian refugees at Waischenfeld . The H.W.L. Schleissheim buldings in the Uebungslager Dachau are quite different. I agree

Default Re: SS insignia from the Ostmark

Yes HPL I did post that some time ago, well remembered.
    To clarify the attribution of the edelweiss tab here is an excerpt from a September, 1938 letter to the Reichsfuehrer-SS from the Head of the SS-Hauptamt that explains that whilst the 37. SS-Standarte were originally given permission to wear the edelweiss, the change in regional structure towards the end of 1934 and after the lifting of the ban on the SS in 1938 resulted in the collar patch being awarded to 87. SS-Standarte.
    d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS insignia from the Ostmark  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS insignia from the Ostmark
    P
    Many

Thank you for the further data. Very interesting and useful.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-30-2012 at 08:22 PM.

SS insignia from the OstmarkSS insignia from the OstmarkSS insignia from the Ostmark
    Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Attachment 443784Attachment 443779Attachment 443781Attachment 443782Attachment 443780An example of what is not in Angolia's book: The post 1937 use of the roman numeral in conjunction with the arabic numeral to denote the staff of the Sturmbanne in a Standarte.
    There is no mention in Angolia's dated book of this prevalent and significant feature in the evolution of these uniforms from 1932 until 1939 or 1940. Mr. d'Alquen generously provided the primary source on this account.

These cuff titles are usually identified as those of SS Abschnitte, which is correct in another configuration.

Angolia also wrongly identifies the post 1937 cuff title (left) as that of an officer (which it might have been in 1934, say), and makes no mention of the end of the cuff titles with colored borders for the Sturmbanne in the Standarten. (right)
    He also does not include, as I recall, the provision for the wearing of two cuff titles, as at enclosure. Thanks to our Robert H. for this nice image of the dual Aermelstreifen that ended up in the world's best collection.

Mollo did amend these errors in his later edition of his seminal work.

Ja, that was a hit to find this Schlegel title. Remember CA's Wolfe asked me if he can have it for some min back in Stuttgart. He run around it with his cell and I was close to ask him to return it or buy it rather to go fishing. Yes orig buyer sold it again and then it ended up finally in the best collection.
    The upper right photo is also one from some years ago. The cloth addiction ... the XXVIII I gladly still kept, EM is rare.
    Greetings to NoCal !

Quote by Robert H View Post
    Ja, that was a hit to find this Schlegel title. Remember CA's Wolfe asked me if he can have it for some min back in Stuttgart. He run around it with his cell and I was close to ask him to return it or buy it rather to go fishing. Yes orig buyer sold it again and then it ended up finally in the best collection.
    The upper right photo is also one from some years ago. The cloth addiction ... the XXVIII I gladly still kept, EM is rare.
    Greetings to NoCal !
    Servus, mein Lieber.

SS insignia from the OstmarkHere is a chart showing the evolution of the SS Oberabschnitt Suedwest apropos the dynamic mentioned by d'Alquen above as applied to Austria.

The cufftitle of the 2 nd Battalion of Deutschland created from Austrians , many of whom came from the SS reception camp Schleissheim situated at the Prittlbach training area (SS - Hilfwerklager (HWL) Schleissheim) it was also stationed at Dachau , for the more complete Bio see Mollo , vol.3 pg 10, Eichman came from this unit , Angolia describes this unit as supply but is in-correct , I think a blank unit collar tab may have been worn at first ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS insignia from the Ostmark  

SS insignia from the OstmarkSS insignia from the Ostmark
    Quote by silvercreek45 View Post
    The cufftitle of the 2 nd Battalion of Deutschland created from Austrians , many of whom came from the SS reception camp Schleissheim situated at the Prittlbach training area (SS - Hilfwerklager (HWL) Schleissheim) it was also stationed at Dachau , for the more complete Bio see Mollo , vol.3 pg 10, Eichman came from this unit , Angolia describes this unit as supply but is in-correct , I think a blank unit collar tab may have been worn at first ?
    Thank you. Marvelous cuff title of great rarity and superior preservation. Are these Austrians at said place?
    The book on the Wiener SS I enclosed describes this all in great detail.
    Thanks for the nice addition.

SS insignia from the OstmarkSS insignia from the OstmarkSS insignia from the OstmarkThese works describe the growth of the Allgemeine SS based on scholarly research of the newest sort.

I believe the men in post #38 are at the SS camp for Austrian refugees at Waischenfeld . The H.W.L. Schleissheim buldings in the Uebungslager Dachau are quite different.
    I agree with silvercreek in that all the early shots of Austrian SS men I have seen show a blank collar patch.
    d'Alquen

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast