Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Panzer Division Grouping

Article about: Hi everyone, My grandfather was in the battle of the bulge at age 18. (pictured below) He brought a ton of war booty back and here is a small selection. From what I researched, I believe all

Default SS Panzer Division Grouping

Hi everyone,

My grandfather was in the battle of the bulge at age 18. (pictured below) He brought a ton of war booty back and here is a small selection. From what I researched, I believe all these medals could have been off the same guy. There is also a picture of him and some other guys on a burned out Panzer! What does everyone think - could these items all go together? I also believe that the spurs could have been from the Battle of Bulge because horses were used due to the roads being destroyed and a shortage of gasoline by the Germans. Please poke holes in my theories so that I can learn.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Panzer Division Grouping   SS Panzer Division Grouping  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Panzer Division Grouping
    P
    Many

Sorry here are the spurs they got cut out of last one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Panzer Division Grouping  

The 1939 EK I and the 1939 EK I clasp couldn't have been worn by the same person, because that's an impossible combination.
    (Within the same class of the decoration, only the 1914 cross with the 1939 clasp is possible.)

Other than that, the pieces in the first photo could have been worn by the same person. (The combination of the two combat badges would be possible in case of re-assignment to another branch, such as from assault guns to armor.) No way to know for sure, though.

The spurs were surely not worn by a tanker in the field and may even be of civilian origin.
    In any case, there is nothing linking them to the Battle of the Bulge in particular, as horses were used in all theaters across Europe and throughout the war.

CBH
    ?

Thats a beautiful group you have there , I look forward to seeing the rest .

One observation , the First Clasp Spange was worn alone or with a WWI 1st Class Ek , I could be wrong .

Please post them individually and the reverse , a close up of the cuff title would be great .

Here are some more pics. The one is marked L19 and I have a hard time making out the L something on the back of the iron cross.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Panzer Division Grouping   SS Panzer Division Grouping  

SS Panzer Division Grouping   SS Panzer Division Grouping  

Last edited by nbushyager; 02-08-2017 at 02:45 AM.

I meant to say Eisernes Kreuz not iron cross before I get yelled at. lol

CBH
    ?

Thats mostly for thread titles as it makes them easier to search , but better safe then sorry !

The Spange and Cuff-title are lovely .

Thanks for the info. The only WWI medal that there was is a WWI German pilot badge. Maybe these two are connected. No WWI EK so it must have gotten lost in time.