Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SS police collar tabs

Article about: There is a lot of confusion with police tabs and boards as it relates to the Schutzpolizei, Gendarmerie, FeldGendarmerie, SS Polizei, and SD. Here are the common mistakes. 1. Schutzpolizei T

Default Re: SS police collar tabs

There is a lot of confusion with police tabs and boards as it relates to the Schutzpolizei, Gendarmerie, FeldGendarmerie, SS Polizei, and SD.

Here are the common mistakes.
    1. Schutzpolizei
    Their NCO (everyone one was considered Corporal or above) boards are often mistaken for SD boards and visa-versa. This is especially a problem when the Chocolate brown base color became a much darker brown later in the war. The SD boards are identical but the base color is black. Always made me wonder how many of these "SD" boards are just dyed originals. Wouldn't they pass all the tests still?!

2. Gendarmerie and FeldGendarmerie
    I don't know why the Army and SS Field police took on the color scheme of the rural police orange (Gendarmerie). What is especially confusing is that many of the Army and SS Field Police came from the Schutzpolizei (city/urban) and their color scheme was green not orange! Furthermore, when the war started and MPs were in demand, many of the Schutzpolizei wore their original uniforms with the "In the Service of the German Army" armbands, except in the position of a cufftitle. It bothers me when I see Dachau orange field police eagles and people want to pass them as rural police as well. Though this MAY have happened very late in the war, in most cases the rural police eagle had the older design (less sharp, more rounded see picture, on the far right is field police) on the larger backing.

3. SS Polizei. Sometimes they wore regular SS insignia in orange. Sometimes they just wore regular SS insignia. Sometimes they wore police insignia. Sometimes they wore army style gorgets. Sometimes they didn't! It makes the whole police matter even more confusing.

In my studies of the German police I don't claim to be an expert, but you find the most common mistakes fairly quickly. I love to see Police Haupwachtmesiter Boards being sold as German Army Captain boards. Things like that happen with police insignia all the time because people just don't take the time to study it.

BTW, these are very nice tabs. If they ever need a home, you know how to get me!

Nice find!

-Martin Super
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Police Eagles.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	120189  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12