Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SS POW tunic

Article about: Hey guys,I just picked this up, thought I'd share with you. Evidence of collar tabs, sleeve eagle and rank chevron. Top breast pockets have been removed as well as the flaps on the lower poc

Quote by Newbie View Post
    I don't see any signs of This tunic ever being marked. I would LOVE to find the history out....who it belonged to, where they were captured, where they were interned. I purchased this from a gentleman in England, trying to see if he has any info on it.
    It would be great if you can find any history with it. Whilst not saying its not PW, any proof that it is other than what you were told, the removed pocket flaps is typical but might be done to make it look less military if worn as a civilian work jacket post war.

I have a Luftwaffe tropical tunic which has the the upper pocket flaps removed and that might have been POW used, but I have no proof of that, it would be great if it had been.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

Interesting idea about the work jacket! I'm just going by word and by the fact it has all the "traditional" signs it was POW. My gut is,POW :-)

Interesting idea about the work jacket! I'm just going by word and by the fact it has all the "traditional" signs it was POW. My gut is,POW :-)
    I am asking, it looks the part, I just wondered if you had any more evidence with it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Tim, can you post pics of your POW tunic?
    Yes sure will when I get my computer back next week that has my pictures on it right now I am borrowing one the luft one of mine was acquired by a 3rd army MP I was friends with he said that they removed the insignia and cut off all pocket flaps so when the POW returned from work detail it was eaiser to look in the pockets and quicker to process them back in. He had some insignia that he gave me and I put it on the tunic just for display. He also told me that POW's at the end of war and after modified their clothing to look more like a civilian jacket for wear home as clothing was in short supply. timothy

Here is my lufty tropical example with missing pocket flaps etc. It has some tailoring which might have been done when it was in use during the war, but also could have been done if it was used as a civilian outfit.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luft trop 1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	752037   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luft trop 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	752038  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luft trop 6.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	221.5 KB 
ID:	752039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luft trop 7.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	190.7 KB 
ID:	752040  

Name:	luft trop 10.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	752041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luft trop 12.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	752042  

Name:	luft trop 13.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	752043   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luft trop 15.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	752044  

Name:	luft trop 16.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	235.1 KB 
ID:	752045  
    Regards,

Jerry

?

The Luft I would believe is more likely for civilian use as opposed to my tunic. I LOVE the tropical stuff!

Here is the luft one I spoke of POW tunic with removed pocket flaps my friend and coworker who I got it from said flaps were cut off so it was eaiser to look in when POW returned from Work release. He had some insignia and I put it back to make it look better. LBA marked inside. timothy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01722.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	752679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01707.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	752678  

Name:	DSC01714.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	752680  

If you ever manage to display a POW please make sure you share it with us! I'd love to see your work! This setup isn't something you see oftenly!

Lovely jacket btw! It gives the been there done that feeling!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12