Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS rank pips

Article about: Could someone tell me what size SS rank pips were? I am putting together a repro uniform, and today I've received the collar tabs. The pips are significantly smaller than those on my old uni

?

Default SS rank pips

Could someone tell me what size SS rank pips were? I am putting together a repro uniform, and today I've received the collar tabs. The pips are significantly smaller than those on my old uniform, which I think are closer to the original. Since I want my uniform to be as authentic-looking as possible, I'd appreciate knowing whether I should order new pips.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS rank pips
    P
    Many

Default Re: SS rank pips

Behold!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS rank pips   SS rank pips  

?

Thanks, but I would prefer the exact measurements, because pictures can be deceptive. The pips I received are 12 x 12 mm, and the old pips are 15 x 15. Is that an acceptable variation, or were they all strictly the same size?

Look in the Assmann catalog and you will see that the old regimes in Germany produced a remarkable variety of little Sternchen for this role. See page pp 127-8 of the Reddick reprint of the Assmann catalog and you will find 17 or so different types of varying sizes and of varying Werkstoffe and finishes.

I own several SS uniforms, and no one set of rank insignia is strictly the same among some 20 different uniforms, almost all of which have these little Sternchen.

I am also certain that some internet potentate will tell you that a regulation size existed, which is possible, but in practice was seldom the case.

Happy regalia and happier regalia with Sternchen.

I even looked in the Herstellungsvorschriften der RZM from the year 1936 and found no definition of the size of rank Sternchen. The method of making collar patches for the SA is described, but without any tangible details of said dimensions.

The past has many riddles, and try as we might to erect certainty in the midst of chaos, we will fail every time.

Es ist halt so.

If a dealer did this, he would charge a lot of money.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS rank pips 

?

I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks. Onward to the truth about Sternchen.

The past has many riddles, and try as we might to erect certainty in the midst of chaos, we will fail every time.
    This statement rather eloquently verbalizes one of the most catastrophic failures of the collecting mind, a mindset that baffles me because of the futility of this approach. How sad that the majority of the collecting "gurus" and "experts" who abide by the so called "textbook items only" following, have relegated common sense as far away from them as the time period from which these items originated. For a time, I found myself sounding like the proverbial broken record in saying that - Collectors need to have the mindset of the past when evaluating and observing the nuances of the items we collect - but to no avail.

Too many times, flawed logic surrounds the logistical process of how, and why during evaluation. If we could all realize that manufacturers and the people who wore these items could not have cared less if these pieces wouldn't comply to the collectors standards of today, we would be much happier in collecting instead of sitting up nights boggling our minds over non-existent nothingness.

In fact, this diseased mindset has become an epidemic and infected many so badly, that I have actually heard collectors say in response to a period photo that 'can't be'..."It must be Photo Shopped".....why? Because our modern day collecting minds have denied the reality of the past.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    This statement rather eloquently verbalizes one of the most catastrophic failures of the collecting mind, a mindset that baffles me because of the futility of this approach. How sad that the majority of the collecting "gurus" and "experts" who abide by the so called "textbook items only" following, have relegated common sense as far away from them as the time period from which these items originated. For a time, I found myself sounding like the proverbial broken record in saying that - Collectors need to have the mindset of the past when evaluating and observing the nuances of the items we collect - but to no avail.

Too many times, flawed logic surrounds the logistical process of how, and why during evaluation. If we could all realize that manufacturers and the people who wore these items could not have cared less if these pieces wouldn't comply to the collectors standards of today, we would be much happier in collecting instead of sitting up nights boggling our minds over non-existent nothingness.

In fact, this diseased mindset has become an epidemic and infected many so badly, that I have actually heard collectors say in response to a period photo that 'can't be'..."It must be Photo Shopped".....why? Because our modern day collecting minds have denied the reality of the past.
    Thanks for the above said with welcome clarity and force.

dukhunter
    ?

Apropos of this discussion, I've been told that this pip is wrong as it is too big and does not conform to the norm.

I've become very disenchanted with the collector commuinity as a whole due to this "textbook" mentality to the point that I rarely show my collection. With the exception of this forum, where I feel I will be treated with civility, I never post anything for discussion.

Congratulations and thank you for maintaining such a respectful and civil forum.

Merry Christmas to all!

Thank you,
    George
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS rank pips  
    Attached Images Attached Images SS rank pips 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast