Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

SS regalia market croaks again.

Article about: Such items on offer, proof, as if any was needed, of the twilight of the SS regalia trade.

Quote by UK Cousin View Post
    Very impressive post.. As much as I would love to indulge in a collection such as this, I promised my children a college education.
    Thanks. As well you should. I Name:  867534d1298271713-ss-great-coat-m-36-a-m02.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  25.4 KBName:  867550d1438280202-ss-great-coat-m-36-a-metropolis-fritz-lang-cin-matheque-fran-aise-9.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  41.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	0,,17667243_303,00.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	912578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prag-teaser-BM-Berlin-Hanau.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	912579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	857145d1435859690-muetzenfabrik-130415-13.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	912580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ba009358.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	912581Name:  662.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  71.7 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	publishable.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	912583 gave several college educations to various women and wives and what not.

We celebrate education. It should never be shortchanged in favor of foetid woolens.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-12-2015 at 05:32 AM.
    damit, basta.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

At the risk of trespassing on a colleague's patience, here is a view from a man in the know and whom I greatly respect.

"....The market is softer, but there is still difficulty finding the items I am seeking. I have offered highest prices for Gau Berlin Badge and Gau Danzig badge, with no response from anyone.

I have sold some very expensive SS insignia to pay for things as have purchased, so top quality and rare items still are strong. Common and mid grade material is having a slow down.

I believe it is just global economics and economic insecurity that keeps prices stagnant or lower. There has been very little movement in the economy that drives up income and disposable money money for hobbys. I certainly hope it gets better, but the prices are very good for newer collectors.

Bob Hritz ..."
    damit, basta.

Dave Delich also commented on this issue, and I will include his observations later.

Do let me restate my ennui with this theme, as if we are solely a function of profits and losses without the element of the irrational and the seven deadly sins that are truly leading factors in what persons do with their treasure.
    damit, basta.

This thread is startlingly impressive! The pieces shown here are above and beyond museum pieces because no museum would share so many examples in one display, too dangerous. The quality and condition, for items 70-85 yrs. old is truly unbelievable. I salute you all for your good taste and careful consideration of period regulations concerning insignia and placement. Thank you for sharing such delicacies with the members here.

Yes, were are temporary custodian of these relics, but we also become part of the history of the items in our collections. It really is an important job, if you could call such a pleasure a job, to care for these things for future generations to see and learn from. When we have these items in our homes, sometimes for decades, everyday life goes on and the history of our lives is somehow attached to our relics as well. I hope that people living 200 years from now will be glad for what we saved and cared for, when it really was not very popular time to do so. Many relics from history have been destroyed because of politics or religious zeal, in fact it still happens today. We live in the interim period where disgust and disdain is starting to give way to fascination and interest, interest in history, not reviving a failed past. So keep on gathering all of the trash you can, "one man's trash is another's treasure," that is so true.

Thanks for the above. Well said and thoughtful and entirely of my opinion, as well.
    damit, basta.

and we strive to join as much knowledge and context to these items as possible, in view of the responsibility that devolves on us.

There are many here who take this view of things, versus the cultural pessimists and Wutbuerger of the digital water hole.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-24-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    damit, basta.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Dave Delich also commented on this issue, and I will include his observations later.

Do let me restate my ennui with this theme, as if we are solely a function of profits and losses without the element of the irrational and the seven deadly sins that are truly leading factors in what persons do with their treasure.
    The issue does come up, usually a few times throughout the year, or rather, the market outlook is reviewed once or twice per annum for our financially minded collectors. FB has hit the nail on the head, of course, with the notion that collecting and holding these items would be unthinkable without some degree of irrationality and influence of the seven deadly sins. I do this for the interest in this time in history when good people did little to nothing while nations became the playthings of thugs. I suppose I also collect because I find it challenging and I enjoy the craftsmanship from a bygone era. Not once do I see dollar signs or a nest egg in my collection, rather, I liken my collecting to shoveling piles of cash into the furnace. I will keep these items preserved for their next custodian, what comes from the sale of such is not really my concern. I do believe I will need a twelve-step program for foetid woolens - and silkens as well!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	316.6 KB 
ID:	916562Click image for larger version. 

Views:	26 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	916563Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	916564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	916565Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	316.0 KB 
ID:	916566Click image for larger version. 

Views:	34 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	916567Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	916568Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	316.7 KB 
ID:	916570Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 132
Size:  66.5 KBClick image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	916575Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	916571Click image for larger version. 

Views:	11 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	916574Click image for larger version. 

Views:	16 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	916572

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	18 
Size:	241.3 KB 
ID:	916573
    Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Kommunist.
    Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.
    Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.
    Als sie die Juden holten, habe ich geschwiegen; ich war ja kein Jude.
    Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.

Well said. Your indifference to a materialistic view of the thing is exactly mine.

All the best of the season to you all and may the new year be one of good fortune and good health.
    damit, basta.

All great collections and things of culture have a sizable aspect of madness that goes with genius. Look at St. Peter's Basilica and there is an aspect of lunacy in the thing as well as grandeur. Rationality and the imperatives of an accountant leave me quite cold, actually.

The penny pinching calculations of some savants mean an endless source of irritation, since the practice misses the point. All of this was irrational, a rejection of the mechanistic world view and of checks and balances.

Amid the span of my collecting life since the start of the 1960s, I have heard how so many have bought so much for so little, and the so much I have bought is, of course, in their view less than worthless and an object of derision and scorn as to how foolish I could have been. I always paid too much, and was hooted at by the others like a file of gibbons.

When this kind of jibberish started for me as a young man, I paid little attention to it. I paid what I could afford, and it was always on the hairy edge. Indeed, it was possible to find these things in the used garment district and hock shop demimonde, which had its poetry. It also was honest in a way as junk.

The mores of that world, the hock shop, the junk yard, and the wrong side of the tracks still adhere to much of this stuff, whereby the balderdash that goes with it has been amplified by the digital mad house. Envy is one of the seven deadly sins, and it is the most intrusive of them in this context.

The reshuffling of the deck as regards estate and class in North America and Western Europe is a fact, but I am not responsible for it and my collection need not be hostage to the populist rage of some at how unfair life is in the year 2015.

Nor do I wish to be lectured by poorly educated persons who affect a knowledge of economics, when they have none. I have what I garner from a daily reading of the business sections of the NYT, the WSJ and a weekly reading of the FT. An MBA have I not, nor do I want one. By a fluke, I am somewhat more educated than some, and can tell nonsense when I see it.

We have built here a seminar on Nazi regalia, with some degree of professional standard, which makes many people quite angry.

They want a check list and luxuriate in gun show old wives tales or an endless reciting as fundamental truth of all the mistakes in Angolia's book on SS cloth insignia.

David Delich's collection is already sold many times over and a long file of beggars (some with very fat check books) sits on his porch in the raging heat of summer and the frigid cold of winter, all in wait for his death and the chance to make off with the swag.

May their wait be long and painful says I.

Merry Christmas and I hoist my glass of holiday cheerClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Schalksnarr.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	916579Click image for larger version. 

Name:	049-metropolis-theredlist.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	916577Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tripdownmarketstreet_720x500.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	916578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	San_Francisco_Fire_Sacramento_Street_1906-04-18.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	916580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-11-10 17.00.11.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	916581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-11-06 16.21.31.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	916582 to that moment when we all land in the furnace when the time is right.

Pfui.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-24-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    damit, basta.

The black item in the initial post curiously resembles a smelly garment which came to my door this week.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast