Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Reiter in the Zoo

Article about: This is a positively odd picture from the fall of 1939, with those SS Reiter who did not trot off to Poland to cause mayhem. They apparently gave Zoo rides while their kassierte horses were

Default SS Reiter in the Zoo

This is a positively odd picture from the fall of 1939, with those SS Reiter who did not trot off to Poland to cause mayhem. They apparently gave Zoo rides while their kassierte horses were off to the east. This scene was also some kind of Winterhilfswerk or charity drive for the SS in battle. This sort of thing is not how you imagine these people, in fact. Maybe this site is the Tiergarten in Berlin.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Reiter in the Zoo 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Reiter in the Zoo
    P
    Many

Superb photograph!! Leon.

?

An unusual and striking image, thank you FB for sharing it with us.

On the subject of zoo animals and the SS, there were actually several sites located within the grounds of Konzentrationslagers that also displayed wild animals. KZ-Buchenwald had a bear pit (shown below) and several other wild animals throughout the period of its existence. Even the Vernichtungslager Treblinka had an area for the SS to relax and watch the animals, constructed near to the Ukrainian-SS barracks - this area had wild foxes and a dovecot.

Regards,

Carl
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Reiter in the Zoo   SS Reiter in the Zoo  

Our Carl88 is a genius.

That's very interesting Carl , I guess even the worst of humanity needed to "get away from it" from time to time and try to forget the atrocities that they were taking part in. Leon.

The reality is that in German and Austrian society of the epoch great prestige adhered to the humane treatment of animals, whereas, human beings (formerly citizens) whom ideology damned as sub human could be disenfranchised step by step and then slaughtered wholesale.

SS Reiter in the ZooSS Reiter in the ZooHere is SS Reiter insignia. I wonder to whom it belonged?

- - Updated - -

I ended up with the man's uniform.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 09-28-2013 at 12:51 AM.

SS Reiter in the ZooI know it is not strictly what we are talking about but just for comparison against your SS reiter tab , here is my SA reiter tab(it is on a complete and early type brown shirt) Leon.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    This is a positively odd picture from the fall of 1939, with those SS Reiter who did not trot off to Poland to cause mayhem. They apparently gave Zoo rides while their kassierte horses were off to the east. This scene was also some kind of Winterhilfswerk or charity drive for the SS in battle. This sort of thing is not how you imagine these people, in fact. Maybe this site is the Tiergarten in Berlin.

i am almost certain this is the U Bahnhof Wittenbergplatz.

SS Reiter in the Zoo

the cone would represent the camera's approximate field of view, the "x" the camel and riders and SS men, and the drainage pipe visible in the background of the original photo is circled here as it appeared on the side of U Bahnhof Wittenbergplatz.

the building is symmetrical and the shot could have been taken from the other side.

the photograph i am using here was taken about 10 or 15 years before the one shown above.

Looks like a small donation was needed for a ride, you can keep the camel, I want the dagger lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast