Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

ss runes on breast police tunic

Article about: Hello, What do you about this insignia ? Different as I know in books... thank you for your comments

Keep calm...

So great collection !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss runes on breast police tunic
    P
    Many

My little ss collection

ss runes on breast police tunic

Here is a pattern that I would be comfortable with, however your one could be a period badge, but in my opinion if there is any doubt, then leave it. First impressions are usually the correct ones

FB, again, words fail me

Stiener that's quite an impressive "little collection"
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ss runes on breast police tunic  

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    FB, who would have worn those red rune tabs please?
    Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    I think the Italian SS, but I do not know. These insignia are not mine. I just show them because the image shows a lot of real, very nice insignia.
    Friedrich-Berthold is, of course, right.

The red collar patches were worn by the Italian Waffen-SS troops. They originally wore red, rather than black, insignia (to include red sleeve eagle- and arm chevron backing and enlisted ranks' shouler straps) before switching over to the standard black color. Other pecularities of the Italian SS included the use of a bundle of fasces instead of the swastika on their sleeve- and cap eagles and the fact that they exclusively wore Italian-pattern uniforms.

The sequence and allocation of insignia worn by the Italian SS is, in fact, an extremely complicated and confusing matter. Little original data is available and the secondary literature on the subject is frustratingly incomplete/unreliable/contradictory. Period photographs show collar patches in black and red, blank- and runic right-hand collar patches, rank insignia worn on both collar patches even by ranks below Standartenführer etc. etc. ...

Some interesting photographs may be found here:

Italian SS | On the gothic line

Thanks Andreas Great info !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I also do not like the quality or style of this badge. It would be difficult to convince any knowledgable collector that it is genuine.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you all.

Tunic go back to the dealer.

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Certainly not textbook. Personally I would pass. Runes look out of proportion
    Out of proportion as compared to what ...?
    The fancy edging may mislead and give an impression of "chubby" runes, let's visualize them without the edging.
    MP

A tepid reception was kind of an expected outcome for such an odd and ugly variation, but returning the tunic just because the SS runes badge is “less beautiful than the textbook” sounds a hasty choice, to me at least.
    I am acquainted with terms such as Abzeichentuch, Besatztuch, Grundtuch … u.s.w. which most esteemed member F-B refers to, but SS runes breast badges may actually have been embroidered on uniform cloth as well. SS runes breast badges on mottled-green, halflinen (grünbraunem Halbleinen) do exist, for example, and on a round backing , specifically. Furthermore, unquestionable Police officers’ sleeve eagles hand embroidered on “Police green” Trikot may be occasionally encountered in collections (mine included).
    “Tailor product” is another creative, but questionable categorisation of the Others in their quest of all-out taxonomy. With so many insignia makers around in the Great Reich, I doubt that German tailors needed to practise embroidering.
    MP

I do actually own a single uniform (out of more than twenty five or so...) where the collar patches are made from Trikotage, but they are a blank SD patch and an Untersturmfuehrer rank patch. I do not have an image of same. Perhaps I will try to make one if I can recover from the near fatal experience I had with my dentist today.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast