Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

SS runes tab

Article about: Hi Guys, I would be please to see if anyone else would consider the tab as a fake. Cheers

Default Re: SS runes tab

Indeed. They are both long standing , resident 'experts' too

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS runes tab
    P
    Many

There was something about this tab I didn't like when I first saw it, and I still have the same feeling. The 2 guys on the WAF know their SS, the rune construction is a little course, the more I look at it, the actual rune's seem a little big to me

The learned member Felix over on waf says its the shape of the runes and the thickness of the stitching on the back

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Well it's sure fooled me,but then again thats not to difficult! Looked a nice Dachau type tab to me.I think i will stick to helmets!!

?

Fooled me too

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Oh how surprising...a WAF thread. Since when is buckram backing a sign of a fake tab?
    The buckram construction on most repro SS tabs is a big red flag

This is indeed a difficult one. Compare the rune construction to this one, not the best out there

SS Tab - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
    Last edited by Adrian; 12-14-2012 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Photos uploaded.

?

Ok, so now we have some reasons for why the tab is a fake, have we got any reasons why the tab is original?

I'm sorry to keep asking these questions but unless we can get to the bottom of this, we have a useless thread and no conclusion.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

here is my example, my only SS collar tab.

It sure took some guts for me to pull the trigger on my first SS tab since I didn't know much about them. It helps knowing a good dealer!
    Attached Images Attached Images SS runes tab 

I think that carlsson is right on this one and that the tab that started this thread is correct. It is hard to tell however because it has been badly photographed, as the photo has been taken out of focus and it seems to have been taken at an angle, not straight on.
    It still has enough detail to the front for a "raised rune" pattern and the edges to the side of the rune look good too.
    I also think that there is a fair amount of wear to the reverse of the buckram on this example which does tend to deteriorate quite quickly
    once it is worn down and the glue type protective wash is lost.
    If you contrast, and enlarge, the photos taken by carlsson you will see what I mean about the lack of detail in the pics for the original post

I still feel this tab has a good chance. But I see what they are saying on the other site. The original tab posted runes are not what a textbook tab should look like. However, just because it's not "textbook" doesn't make it a repro IMO. As an example, let's look at the Italian ss collar tab. There are many differences of the stitching but they are all still excepted as originals. As for the back, I also see what the member at the other site is saying. But I don't feel the photograph provided gives enough detail to out right say REPRO IMO. Later I will post photos of comparison side by side of the ss runes tab and Italian to show you what I mean.

I'm not an member "over there" so therefore I don't no that members reputation nor experience. I am not saying he is wrong, just stating my opinion.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast