Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Stammabteilung Montur "Mitte"

Article about: Thank you HPL2008 and Mr. d'alquen first rate contributions as always.

Thanks to you all. Now we have a new, compelling issue at hand as to the terms 'SS1" and "SSII"

What a pleasing thing to have a new and arcane challenge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Stammabteilung Montur  "Mitte"
    P
    Many

Looking through some Himmler documents I came across his interesting profile of the ideal career path for an SS member born in 1917. As you can see from the attached details the terms SSI and SSII simply relate to four years of service or more than 4 years of service. I don't know why I didn't think of that before; the four year service medal should have given me a clue.
    The dates used in the document reveal an optimism that would prove unfounded.
    d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Stammabteilung Montur  "Mitte"  

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Looking through some Himmler documents I came across his interesting profile of the ideal career path for an SS member born in 1917. As you can see from the attached details the terms SSI and SSII simply relate to four years of service or more than 4 years of service. I don't know why I didn't think of that before; the four year service medal should have given me a clue.
    d'Alquen

Thanks so much. Very useful. I have never seen this term prior.

The piece with 9 November 1952 did not work out as Heini H thought.

Very grateful for your fine research in these files.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an' chicken farmers...!

Thanks for solving another riddle for us. For the benefit of the non-German speaking members, let me add a translation of this passage of text:

"SS I
    8.) From 9th November 1938 through 9th November 1942
    he is a member of the SS I. During this period, he undergoes the most rigorous post-military
    ["post-military" crossed out and replaced by "physical and intellectual" in handwriting] training as a marksman, a night fighter, police training and the highest degree of sports training. The SS Sports Badge is to be attained. Sports training is undertaken in fencing and all noble sports.
    Up until 9th November 1942, it is not desired for the SS man to marry and raise a family; rather, he is to be fully and wholly at the disposal of the Führer and the Movement.

SS II
    9. From 9th November 1942 through 9th November 1952
    he is a member of the SS II. He undergoes additional post-military
    ["post-military" crossed out and replaced by "physical and intellectual" in handwriting] training. The level attained up until then is to be maintained."

So, while sub-categories of fully active A-SS membership, SS I and SS II are very much steps of the sequence then leading to the Reserve and the Stammabteilung. Note how 1952 would be the year where this 1917-born SS man turned 35: At that age, he would be eligible for transfer to the Reserve. The sequence as seen in the statistics in post # 28 makes sense now.

So, by this grand scheme, an A-SS man would ideally reach the pinnacle of his skills and physical fitness by the end of his four-year assignment to the SS-I category, which was to be the most intense phase in terms of duty obligations and training schedule.
    These qualifications and skills would then be honed and maintained during his subsequent 10-year assignment to the SS-II category.
    After that, transfer to the reserves with only half the duty obligations of the active SS and finally to the supplementary reserves of the Stammabteilungen with only minimal obligations.

Also of interest is the reference to a projected SS Sports Badge [SS-Sportabzeichen] which never materialized as such (unless one counts the much later Germanische Leistungsrune as its eventual incarnation).

Thank you, colleagues, you make our site a real beacon in the darkness.

SS Stammabteilung Montur  "Mitte"Here are the persons in Munich of the year 1952, and their connection to the SS seems pretty weak at best.

And this film is from Oberbayern in 1953...

Military Police Highway Patrols in Germany - 1953 US Army Documentary - YouTube
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-16-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Interesting to see the influences of the TR era in comparison to the post-war influences of the US . . . it seems to me, that some things never change - regardless of time!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Stammabteilung Montur  "Mitte"  

HPL,
    Thanks as always for providing an elegant translation.
    d'Alquen

Excellent Andreas!!...a rare and afforded view into Himmlers cracked crystal ball of the future. They had it all figured out...but that cracked reality came sooner in 1945. Thank you for sharing this rare information. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you HPL2008 and Mr. d'alquen first rate contributions as always.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast