Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle)

Article about: Hi, need some help with this stuff that are for sale on a website. I personally think it looks alittle fishy, but i'm not an expert! Your opinions are welcome /Farradin

Default Re: SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle)

Quote by Tricot View Post
    Now that is a very intriguing statement.

I noted the schellenbaum in the lower center edge of the parading AFV photo. NVA kept that janissary tradition. Did the FRG do the same?

Oh December 1989, I remember thee well...
    Yes, the West Germans and now United Germans as well as the Austrians have Schellenbaeume in their military bands. Notice the stature of the young man carrying same here in Charlottenburg, residence of the Bundespraesident.

As concerns all of this in the cold war, then see the relevant literature in Google books under the heading of Bundeswehr und Tradition. It is all described in lurid detail. But there are no images of SS cap insignia. No crimped prongs or CuPal to make one's heart beat faster, sadly.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle) 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle)
    P
    Many

?

Oh, and to return to hats, comma, one each...

What is the likelihood that a visor's adler and scull have NOT been removed? Even for a cursory examination.

I have heard that an SS visor with insignia original to that visor is a pipedream.

And why the combinations of adler/scull from different manufacturers found on so many techmützen?

Is it as simple as hat makers ordering insignia from diverse vendors? Is a non-matching set indicative of tampering?

I have four SS visors and absolutely dare not check the backs of the insignia.

Quote by Tricot View Post
    Oh, and to return to hats, comma, one each...

What is the likelihood that a visor's adler and scull have NOT been removed? Even for a cursory examination.
    it depends, one can find caps with un bothered badges

I have heard that an SS visor with insignia original to that visor is a pipedream. I think you overstate things, which merely reflects the anxieties broadcast on these websites by people who do not actually own these things and are envious

And why the combinations of adler/scull from different manufacturers found on so many techmützen?

The word you want is Tellermuetzen, and I cannot account for this fact other than it reflects reality. Look at tunics and tell me that all buttons are from the same vendor, or that the insignia are, as well.

Is it as simple as hat makers ordering insignia from diverse vendors? yes Is a non-matching set indicative of tampering? I do not think so, but what do I know?

I have four SS visors and absolutely dare not check the backs of the insignia.
    Do yourself a huge favor, ignore the prattle on these websites, and leave the badges where fate and providence put them

Viel Sammlerglueck--the Germans say that one commits suicide out of fear of death, and such is akin to the tendency promoted by these websites to doubt absolutely everything. "The matched insignia set" is somewhat akin to the Loch Ness monster in my experience. It a fetish and conceit of people who collect insignia, not complete pieces of uniform....
    Attached Images Attached Images SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle) 

Furthermore in many years spent in Germany, I have seen many things stripped of insignia which were wholly authentic and wonderful. Is one going to eschew these things because they were preserved in a denazified form? This is the cutting one's nose to spite one's face promoted by certain personages who want to restrict the market, promote uncertainty in beginners, and otherwise mislead us all with some fantasy that history somehow does not operate, i.e. you can clap your hands together and dream your way back to the SS Wirtschaftslager in Dachau and scoop it all up. Or you can do so by lucking into the "out of the woodwork" remarkable thingy, or, as one UK dealer told me, the former SS officer's Bavarian home that has "remained unchanged since 1945..." and was also a branch of the Kleiderkasse SS. That is another stupid myth, as I have seldom been in a German household like Ms. Haversham's or as imagined in film and fiction.
    Far from it.

As long as people have collected this stuff, they have screwed around with it. The key is to develop a Fingerspitzengefuehl as to what is monkeyed with and what is not. If someone has carefully taken off the cap badges and put them back in good order, then one should be thankful they did not make a hash of it.

Please forgive my harsh tone, but any SS piece that is authentic is rare and was even thus in the III. Reich.

The key is to find old collections with nice stuff in them that are being broken up. Such will unfold soon enough in many cases, including mine and some others I know simply by dint of biology.

This collection was broken up thus, I attach here. This is more "dead heads" than you are likely to see in several life times spent at glamor militaria fairs
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle)  

I just wonder how many of these German soldiers wish they could go back to the wear of the beautiful tunics/uniforms from 1932-1945.

AS those were all an work of art, absolutely the best dressed uniforms to date, for any army today, Dont get me wrong , i loved wearing my class A's with my jump boots, and my Tan beret, all tabbed up, and a chest full of ribbons, and awards, my jump wings, and my CIB, and i was able to get a CAB, due to convoy ops in Iraq.

But the Allgemeine SS tunics were an work of art...

It seems like just about every one of the uniforms the German wore, were all tailor made.

Brian

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Furthermore in many years spent in Germany, I have seen many things stripped of insignia which were wholly authentic and wonderful. Is one going to eschew these things because they were preserved in a denazified form? This is the cutting one's nose to spite one's face promoted by certain personages who want to restrict the market, promote uncertainty in beginners, and otherwise mislead us all with some fantasy that history somehow does not operate, i.e. you can clap your hands together and dream your way back to the SS Wirtschaftslager in Dachau and scoop it all up. Or you can do so by lucking into the "out of the woodwork" remarkable thingy, or, as one UK dealer told me, the former SS officer's Bavarian home that has "remained unchanged since 1945..." and was also a branch of the Kleiderkasse SS. That is another stupid myth, as I have seldom been in a German household like Ms. Haversham's or as imagined in film and fiction.
    Far from it.

As long as people have collected this stuff, they have screwed around with it. The key is to develop a Fingerspitzengefuehl as to what is monkeyed with and what is not. If someone has carefully taken off the cap badges and put them back in good order, then one should be thankful they did not make a hash of it.

Please forgive my harsh tone, but any SS piece that is authentic is rare and was even thus in the III. Reich.

The key is to find old collections with nice stuff in them that are being broken up. Such will unfold soon enough in many cases, including mine and some others I know simply by dint of biology.

This collection was broken up thus, I attach here. This is more "dead heads" than you are likely to see in several life times spent at glamor militaria fairs
    Yes ... sigh ... I know. The word "minty" has creeped into the lexicon of 70 year old relics. That is indicative of the psyops of which you speak.

That photo! All that delicious bullion and candystriping! My cherished grinning ones number a mere fraction of that gathering. The numbers! And the ghastly little Ks. And how the owner must have scoured the Earth to fill the gaps in the countdown.

I understand my prey is fleet and hides between the sands of time and the wares of lawless craftsmen driven by financial lechery to sew new black velvet onto old grey wool with their vintage Singer manuals.

My hunt continues. Deals are made out of cartrunks, in living rooms, on gunshow card tables. One man walks away with a fistful of currency, the other with a plastic shopping bag enshrouding either a prize of powerful historical significance or a felonious lie of cloth and leather. Which is it? Who knows? Will I?

I knew a dealer who used the word "minty" in the early 1970s. He had an uncanny ability to find a lot of authentic SS material, but his personal manner was quite odd.

He found the very first black SS uniform I ever owned in a used clothing shop. I still own it, in fact.

He also found the first black SS officer's cap I owned, in fact.

This is not it, in fact, but it is a nice piece.

As pertains to your search, dear colleague Tricot, I am certain you will eventually find what you want; but like all of us, you will have to bleed some of your heart's blood in the process. I have stopped collecting in the last two years and do not miss the process at all, in fact. There is no way to engage this material and the people around it without some degree of suffering. There is no instant fix, no path to perfection without much anguish and disappointment. The latter form the source of real knowledge and insight.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle)  

Very nice, very nice indeed.

Great items as always.

Just think if we had a time machine, that would allow us to go back in time for just 1 week, what we could bring back with us, just imagine....

Brian

These things have demanded a tribute that few are willing to give.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle)   SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle)  

SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle)   SS-stuff (Visor cap, Cufftitle)  

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    These things have demanded a tribute that few are willing to give.
    So much truth in that statement.

Its the collecting, and this web site, that helps me cope everyday, when i start having some problems, i get on here, as its helps me to get my mind off the crap.

They say i need a hobby, and i cannot think of a better hobby, then collecting these items...

Brian

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast