Become our sponsor and display your banner here

SS-Totenkopfverbände uniform on this man?

Article about: Hello everyone! Once more I have another question concerning a photo I have. Is this man a member of the SS-Totenkopfverbände? I tried to find a similar tunic on the web but can't find one.

Default SS-Totenkopfverbände uniform on this man?

Hello everyone! Once more I have another question concerning a photo I have. Is this man a member of the SS-Totenkopfverbände? I tried to find a similar tunic on the web but can't find one. This one has no epaulette's. What time period would also be a great help. The size of the photo would of been used in an ID book. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10247417_10203073567431464_5366974846563505763_n.jpg 
Views:	4289 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	682741

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

?

It looks like a m36 tunic. I am no expert on SS, so that part i have to leave to the students of this organitation.

"Death's Head" collar patches and Army-style field blouses were worn both by concentration camp- / Totenkopfverbände personnel and members of the Totenkopfdivision.
    If a photo does not show additional distinguishing features (such as a cuff title or distinctive branch color piping), it is impossible to tell whether it is of a member of the former or the latter group.

(There are more circumstancial indicators, too. For example, an elderly private is most likely a camp guard, whereas an array of combat decorations points towards a T-Division member. This is not 100%, though.)

The picture was most likely taken during the early- to mid-war years, but could be of a later date as well.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    "Death's Head" collar patches and Army-style field blouses were worn both by concentration camp- / Totenkopfverbände personnel and members of the Totenkopfdivision.

If a photo does not show additional distinguishing features (such as a cuff title or distinctive branch color piping), it is impossible to tell whether it is of a member of the former or the latter group.

The picture was most likely taken during the early- to mid-war years, but be of a later date as well.
    Is it normal for the tunic not to have epaulette's?

Quote by yarmouth View Post
    Is it normal for the tunic not to have epaulette's?
    This is sometimes seen in photographs. He is most likely a very fresh recruit.

Another possibility is that this is an ID picture for a POW or a member of a probationary-/penal unit stripped of rank and badges, although in those cases I would expect the collar patches to have been completely removed as well.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 04-29-2014 at 06:03 PM.

I know the picture is poor in detail. I did my best to sharpen it.

Name:  10253868_10203074232248084_350742070600735045_n.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  7.3 KB

?

Looks like an early one . This TK is vertical .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delich 1.jpg 
Views:	2779 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	682955Here for orientation are Delich Schatzkammer examples.

?

Many thanks FB, and also to Mr. Delich for the release of the pics of these fine items from his important collection.
    Dean.