Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS Uniform

Article about: thank you for your clarification. something to make a note of!

Default Re: SS Uniform

Let's talk a little about fake SS Offciers tunics.

Many years ago, the way to fake an SS tunic was to take a good clean original Heer tunic strip it and rebadge it. Things have now moved on. The higher end fakes and now completely made from scratch in Germany. Forget the lower end copies made in the Far East and the USA. Fakers are now even making tunics to match in design to an original period photograph of an Officer wearing a tunic. They will attempt to mimic the shape of pockets, pocket flaps, collar etc. All original insignia will be used where ever possible, as most collectors will look closer at the insignia first. It will then be sold along with the photo and a story of how it was obtained "from the family".

These latest tunics need in hand forensic style investigation.

I don't like to make scare mongering type posts, but folks need to realise this is the state of things today.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Uniform
    P
    Many

Everything is brand spanking new!!! With what Ade said and the other comments by the members see (I HOPE) if you can get your money back.This guy whoever he may be spend some aussie dollars to make it look brand new and its a fake throughout.You should not deal with overseas guys because when it comes to getting your money back they are gone to another site or listing or just gone and you are screwed!Post the pieces before buying and you would have gotten a fake as far as it being fake or foul!Not easy to do in this dog eat dog world.Suffice to say you learned a expensive lesson and i am sorry you got taken by this SOB. CARL
    Last edited by goodbuys; 01-24-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Ade, I hear from the large amount of collector friends here in the states that the shows even the "BIGGIES" that the dealers are having a hard time buying choice SS material and are putting junk (not all dealers) together and pushing it off as real.Some have a new way of putting it as "RESTORED" which is a bunch of B.S. and if the insignia is not original then it a put together would you agree?I caution all members to not buy SS material unless you know what you are buying and know who you are dealing with!!!Thats my opinion and use caution as there are totally rotten dealers out there who are looking for new fish to screw! Goodbuys. Same goes for Panzer and high end Luftwaffe items.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Let's talk a little about fake SS Offciers tunics.

Many years ago, the way to fake an SS tunic was to take a good clean original Heer tunic strip it and rebadge it. Things have now moved on. The higher end fakes and now completely made from scratch in Germany. Forget the lower end copies made in the Far East and the USA. Fakers are now even making tunics to match in design to an original period photograph of an Officer wearing a tunic. They will attempt to mimic the shape of pockets, pocket flaps, collar etc. All original insignia will be used where ever possible, as most collectors will look closer at the insignia first. It will then be sold along with the photo and a story of how it was obtained "from the family".

These latest tunics need in hand forensic style investigation.

I don't like to make scare mongering type posts, but folks need to realise this is the state of things today.

Cheers, Ade.
    The ridiculous high prices paid for items like this have unfortunately made it worth the fakers while to produce much better quality high end fakes as Ade has said this is the state of the collectors market today !
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

It is impossible to find a good SS officer's tunic these days on almost any website. Without a hands on examination, it is almost impossible to tell much from photographs unless we are dealing with fake insignia. I am happy with the examples I have been able to aquire in my years of collecting. All have long collector provenance which is important in these matters. SS tunics were widely destroyed after the war. In the early years of collecting, many of those that survived were stripped of their insignia as collecting values were different 50 years ago. Finding an impecible example with provenance will take some time. Have patience and learn what to look for.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

One person I would go through to get original SS militaria is Bruce Hermann at GrenadierMilitaryAntiques.com.
    He's known for his original items and knows the business well, but like all the post above, some of the best in the biz, are getting fooled.
    I have picked up some original SS armbands, but that's the closest i'll probably ever get to a uniform.

?

Wow...this is the first thread on a forum that I have read echoes of what I have been trying to say for 10 years on other forums. I would use caution in discerning the Sieder eagles they seem to be difficult for many and many real eagles have pidgeon looking heads.The eagle on this tunic has possibility and features not found on older fake Sieders.

i have a lot to learn in tunics and i get a bad feeling from this example in general, but in your experienced opinions, do even the buttons on this "SS" tunic look good?

F-B put up a good collage of these... i've been looking at it pretty close as a sort of "tutorial" and the buttons on this example look pretty coarse. just thought i'd ask as i am trying to get better at judging these.

he posted buttons from an Allgemeine SS. would there be a difference moving to a tunic such as this?

?

Hello, I do not get a great feeling from this tunic either and I was a bit hasty with the eagle it does appear to be a form of Sieder eagle( FAKE )...you will have to excuse me I am new and did not realize you could click on pictures to get closer views..the tunic itself and buttons cannot be faulted I will take a closer look at the tabs if possible.Later war field uniforms may differ extremely from the earlier Allgemeine I up for learning more about those myself...I think they are widely faked as well.
    Last edited by Magwa7; 06-09-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Quote by tempelhof View Post
    i have a lot to learn in tunics and i get a bad feeling from this example in general, but in your experienced opinions, do even the buttons on this "SS" tunic look good?

F-B put up a good collage of these... i've been looking at it pretty close as a sort of "tutorial" and the buttons on this example look pretty coarse. just thought i'd ask as i am trying to get better at judging these.

he posted buttons from an Allgemeine SS. would there be a difference moving to a tunic such as this?
    Bob Hritz and Bob Coleman can speak to your point. They have many fine grey SS tunics of all kinds. I confine myself to the black. The latter have distinct buttons of the era 1934/5-1940.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast