Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

Article about: This grey cap atop the black DRP helmet came from the same collection as the one under inquiry, and was originally Shea's. It is also in the Shea Beaver book, which speaks for the taste of t

Default Re: SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatThis grey cap atop the black DRP helmet came from the same collection as the one under inquiry, and was originally Shea's. It is also in the Shea Beaver book, which speaks for the taste of the owner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat
    P
    Many

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hata cap of Shea's from some years ago, also a Lubstein with the party insignia. My mention of dealers merely reflects my relationship with them as a collector and as one who does not find these things in hock shops, in my friend's dad's pickle barrel, or in attics of dying veterans or at the flea market in Heidelberg......
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-21-2013 at 06:23 PM.

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatHere is Ziereis and the whole RFSS entourage at dreadful Mauthhausen....along with Gauleiter Eigruber, who along with Heini H. was making a ton of dough off the slave labor....there...

Quote by Patrick Lewis View Post
    But one thing I do notice is the cork band(?) is going over the RZm tag. I havent seen that before but then again I havent been collecting long.

Cheers, Pat
    Hi Pat. I recently purchased "The Collectors Guide to Cloth Third Reich Military Headgear" which describes the cork (or foam rubber) strip sometimes sown in behind the sweatband to alleviate pressure from the visor edge. This book was published in 2002 and I find it a great resource. regards Paul

Thanks to all for the excellent photographs and your valuable opinions and thought-provoking deliberations. This thread has provoked the type of discussion I so much enjoy on this site. Opinions based on experience. I can see that the photographs you have shared provide a great foundation for your deep and hardearned knowledge. I do not own any visor hats at present and have decided to purchase this one. Perhaps some think such a valuable item should not be in the hands of a novice, however I assure you that it will be cared for with the greatest attention.... and, no doubt, I will further seek your advice and thoughts on other features of it when it is finally received. Gratefully, Paul

Quote by Patrick Lewis View Post
    But one thing I do notice is the cork band(?) is going over the RZm tag. I havent seen that before but then again I havent been collecting long.

Cheers, Pat
    Excuse me Pat. I misread the emphasis of your comment. Point taken. Paul

These cap variations never cease to amaze me,,and never thought there were more than just a few. Thankyou gents for showing this rare variation of cap and eagle style. Regards Larry

Also is there any known branch of the SS that this type of cap was designated to as this was not a common to see cap in media photos or our present collecting circles.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Well done on choosing an absolutely wonderful cap as a first. Visor caps are like potato crisps, you can't stop at one!

I have the book you mention for a year or so now. It's a Great book with a lot of useful information. I still look back on it and especially the cap makers index.

Cheers, Pat

Dear Mr. Back to the Front, Your choice will excite envy and criticism in others, as do the choices I make. Each choice means a negation of something in someway, and in this everyone's opinion can be read by everyone else world, someone is always put out by most things we do, and they do not hesitate to tell you so. My mentor once told me never to wear my heart on my sleeve, advice that somehow does not fit in the 21st century, where such public display of emotion is all one does. In 1971 or so, when I bought one of these caps for the staggering sum of USD 125, the collecting midgets and dweebs hereabouts thought me to be a total fool. Those who are not already SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatsix feet under still think I am a fool. No doubt I still am, but if you have a deep interest in this material, then ownership has its merits, regardless of what critics will purport, who have no collection, no money, no sense, and would not be able to deal with the complexities of these things under any circumstances. So, I salute you and wish you many more black caps in your life, along with a minimum of aggravation from the ankle biters and cartel of anxiety that wants to rob your of your courage and drive you away from their heap of swag.

In fact, the latter constitutes for many the chief joy in collecting, that is, the cyber bullying of innocent people who venture here, and then are shot down, usually by people who have no idea of what they are doing, but a surplus of self confidence that arose from their childhood (just over....) in which their self esteem was over inflated with check lists and smiley escutcheons and the like.

The simple fact about the complexities of the past is this: by the misapplication of the putative certainties of electric pictures and idiotic check lists, the on line savant misleads innocent people, who have no chance to accumulate knowledge in the conventional, or, shall I say, old fashion way of the slow, steady collection of isolated facts in a mosaic of experience. Especially troublesome are these pictures, which no more really connect us to the item than whatever, that is, the image of a distant star through the telescope. I look at my things everyday, and have done so for forty five years. There is no way to transmit this fact through the wire, other than in an incomplete way.

The on line new brooms generally assert that older collectors are all idiots. Some might be, that is for certain, but not all.

There is something very unfair about all of this, but it is a fact.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-21-2013 at 08:45 PM.

?

Bravo on your decision, a fine piece of history that you can be proud to be custodian of.

Below is another fine cap sold by Bruce some time ago the is relevant to our discussion.
    SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

CMH

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast