Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

Article about: This grey cap atop the black DRP helmet came from the same collection as the one under inquiry, and was originally Shea's. It is also in the Shea Beaver book, which speaks for the taste of t

Default Re: SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    Bravo on your decision, a fine piece of history that you can be proud to be custodian of.

Below is another fine cap sold by Bruce some time ago the is relevant to our discussion.
    Attachment 454734
    CMH
    Thanks for your words of encouragement CMH. These hats weave a complex web indeed. I can see many a collector must become trapped in this web.
    Again thanks to all for the time and effort spent to shed light on this subject. it is rare that a novice in any field of study has an opportunity to converse with the best minds of that field. Your patience is a virtue. Truly esteemed company I am in. cheers paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS visor hat-early insignia,late hat
    P
    Many

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatI am very trapped, but there is no reason to be confused as the knowledge here is singular. The pillars here well understand the struggle of others and are seized of a principle of mutual aid and self help.

?

Quote by backtothefront View Post
    Thanks for your words of encouragement CMH. These hats weave a complex web indeed. I can see many a collector must become trapped in this web.
    Again thanks to all for the time and effort spent to shed light on this subject. it is rare that a novice in any field of study has an opportunity to converse with the best minds of that field. Your patience is a virtue. Truly esteemed company I am in. cheers paul

Thank you for your thanks. The process is long in gathering these little bits of information from books and other knowledgeable collectors but it is paramount in becoming a successful collector. I feel another key to becoming successful is assisting those who may not be aware of information that is gleaned from period photos or other records. My best to you in your collecting and do show us a photo of this nice cap once in your collection.

Regards,

CMH

Quote by DrCMH View Post
    Thank you for your thanks. The process is long in gathering these little bits of information from books and other knowledgeable collectors but it is paramount in becoming a successful collector. I feel another key to becoming successful is assisting those who may not be aware of information that is gleaned from period photos or other records. My best to you in your collecting and do show us a photo of this nice cap once in your collection.

Regards,

CMH
    Well said. Do contrast this kind of fine post with those found on other sites, and you will easily understand why this site thrives while others languish. On the other sites, a query is met with hectoring, disdain, misinformation, and the kind of lord of the flies habitus that has become the norm in the 21st century and signifies the destruction of culture and civilization.

?

I'm a bit late to the party but I too congratulate Paul on a fine choice for his first SS hat.
    I also congratulate my knowledgeable colleagues for making this thread a pleasure and an education to read.
    Lastly and once again, well done Pat. You have sharp eyes my friend. The cork or sponge strip (Gummipolster) was indeed a forehead pressure relieving product and in this case, does overlap the RZM label which is slightly unusual but nothing to worry about at all. I'm still unclear whether this strip was installed at the factory/workshop or whether it was added later at the outfitters. Some are merely glued on top of the lining but some are held in place by the lining stitching itself, in other words, incorporated into the manufacture of the cap. The later method is obviously the biggest puzzle, made to order with this feature already installed?

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatBen spoke the magic word...... I think I have seen other Lubstein black SS caps with a cork cushion versus a Schaumgummi one. I think in this case, the cork thingy is loose and slipped to one side.
    Usually, such caps have the orange Gummischaum cushion, but I have seen many different ways to relieve the pressure on the forehead. And, you will note that people also used newspaper to make caps fit better, as well.

?

There you have it, I had forgotten this marvelous image (thank you FB) which proves that the Gummipolster was in some instances, an incorporated and marketed design feature of various manufacturers, Pekuro in this case I believe.

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hat
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    There you have it, I had forgotten this marvelous image (thank you FB) which proves that the Gummipolster was in some instances, an incorporated and marketed design feature of various manufacturers, Pekuro in this case I believe.
    The thing above is from an Opolka & Mueller cap made in Hamburg, and of early make. My friend Joe Texas Ueber Alles has a similarly marked cap. This cap also has a small piece of black woolen fabric sewn between the peak and the press board in addition to a Schaumgummi cushion. This is not untypical of early black SS caps.

SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatThis is Joe Texas above all's cap.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    SS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hatSS visor hat-early insignia,late hat

The thing above is from an Opolka & Mueller cap made in Hamburg, and of early make. My friend Joe Texas Ueber Alles has a similarly marked cap. This cap also has a small piece of black woolen fabric sewn between the peak and the press board in addition to a Schaumgummi cushion. This is not untypical of early black SS caps.
    Marvelous examples which continue to thrill me. I do adore the rare variations!

What is most pleasing to me are the caps from makers during the period who were obviously well aware of the RZM rules regarding trademarks and such but still decided to bend the rules some what in order to make their products stand out from the rest.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast