Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

SS Wool Armband with '275' hersteller - mint

Article about: The SS armband I ordered has arrived. The tag, while light, is pretty clearly marked 275 in person. The armband does exhibit a moderate but not heavy musky smell similar to the other cloth p

Default SS Wool Armband with '275' hersteller - mint

The SS armband I ordered has arrived. The tag, while light, is pretty clearly marked 275 in person. The armband does exhibit a moderate but not heavy musky smell similar to the other cloth pieces I have. Due to this being my first, the only other wool armband I have to compare it to, which admittedly may not be the best comparison, is an NSDAP armband I have which is marked 849. I've taken some photos beside that armband, for whatever that might be worth. And, though the test isn't conclusive, the materials on both armbands are identical under blacklight with no glow.

Some differences between them, the SS armband shows thinner ribbing on the white circle/roundel, and the SS armband's red is just very slightly darker which could have anything to do with dye lots, storage, light exposure, etc. Not sure either of these are a concern since different makers probably used different bolts of material.

From there, I can only let the photos do the talking:

Comparison photos to NSDAP wool armband:

Last edited by avenger; 02-25-2015 at 03:24 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Wool Armband with '275' hersteller - mint
    P
    Many

SS Wool Armband with '275' hersteller - mintSS Wool Armband with '275' hersteller - mintDo you have a theory as to why the thing is not sewn together?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Do you have a theory as to why the thing is not sewn together?
    Only speculation. There was no information on that, but my assumption has been that it was unissued stock that hasn't been sized and cut for uniform placement.

Quote by avenger View Post
    Only speculation. There was no information on that, but my assumption has been that it was unissued stock.
    Bravo. These had to be sized to the sleeve in question, which was often an overcoat---despite what many think--or the tunic.

In fact, in the VA SS price list, these are listed at 50 cms and 55 cms in length.

And, many of these were left over and unused in just this very state. Yours is a 100% real, and if you do not want it, I can well use it for various tasks.

Looks like an authentic mint example, in my opinion. Beautiful piece!

The fakes are not as well made as this item, nor is the red badge cloth as well made either. Also, the oval roundel has the right stain and right hint of age.

The fakes also do not execute the Hakenkreuz properly. It appears lumpy and comes to peaks, when it should be fairly flat.

It is very hard to fake this age, this discoloration like an original of said white satin.

Thanks for the clear images, which can well be saved for the novice struggling to collect this regalia.

There long have existed excellent fakes, even in the 1960s, made by a crafty faker by the name of Nesbit, whom I actually knew. He was a nasty man.

His copies were perfect, save the red textile was not the orange red you see here. Otherwise, these fakes were superior to the well made fake of today.

Superb condition-looks like it's fresh straight from the QM's shelves. Wow! Impossible to upgrade!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thank you for the feedback FB. I really appreciate it and the knowledge you've shared, as your guidance and others here has been indispensable, and frankly made the experience of collecting these pieces all the more rewarding.

I've followed some of the posts you've made recently, and found the story about your time with the family in Germany compelling. I can only imagine the insights you gained from that, not just on the Third Reich, but also on the character of the people involved. I gleaned from your story, that you left there with a measure of respect for these people you stayed with, and the belief that they were good people. History may paint a lot of folks from this time as monsters, and some deserve it. But, I like to think in the end most human beings will incline towards peace and goodwill, even when they go off the rails for a time, or get pulled into something that turned out to be not what it seemed. And for those folks who deserve it, may we always be willing to grant redemption.
    Last edited by avenger; 02-25-2015 at 05:37 AM.