Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

SS wool armband w/ cloth tag (possible fake)

Article about: Here's an item I came across while browsing the various militaria sites. At first glance, this armband has the characteristics you look for: horizontal ribs in the roundel and black stripes,

Default SS wool armband w/ cloth tag (possible fake)

Here's an item I came across while browsing the various militaria sites. At first glance, this armband has the characteristics you look for: vertical ribs in the roundel and black stripes, a slightly oval roundel, and a folded black swastika stitched in the center.

It has a cloth RZM tag from 1937, which has been seen on other authentic examples (S.S. Armband). The tag looks good -- it has the proper "barred Z," the long stitches on the sides of the circles, and the gaps in the legs of the "M."

However, I'm hesitant about calling this piece authentic... The armband itself looks to be in immaculate condition, as if it has never even been worn:

However, it's the backside that puzzles me...

I'm not used to seeing such large white stitching used for the roundel. The authentic examples I've seen have all had stitching that seems practically invisible, with the roundel portion looking almost "raised" on the backside. The previously mentioned example with the 1937 cloth tag had evident white stitching, but the stitches themselves were tiny... Definitely not like this. The roundel stitching on this armband reminds me of a piece with a questionable 1938 cloth tag that was reviewed on this forum a while back (SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please). The piece in question was deemed a convincing fake. Anyway, I've become fairly good at spotting armband fakes, but this one has me rather confused... What are your opinions, guys?
    Last edited by daveward; 04-16-2015 at 04:52 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS wool armband w/ cloth tag (possible fake)
    P
    Many

?

daveward.. Any chance of better close up.. If not F.B. or Bob Colman can pardon the pun " Clear this up".. Good luck.. G

?

Default S.S. Armband

P.S.

Quote by Gwar View Post
    daveward.. Any chance of better close up.. If not F.B. or Bob Colman can pardon the pun " Clear this up".. Good luck.. G
    Unfortunately, these are the only pictures I have of this armband... Sorry!

?

Nonetheless, hang tight friend.. Looks good IMO.. Gwar

Thanks! You have an SS armband with a 1937 cloth tag, don't you? I think I've seen it in a few other posts... Does it have the white stitching on the back?

I'm assuming that in most of the armbands, red bobbin thread was used, which explains why the stitching on top of the roundel is white, and the stitching on the back seems invisible in the photos (due to the red thread blending into the red wool). It appears that in this case, the bobbin thread was white, which makes the stitching on the backside very apparent.

Here's another armband being offered by the same dealer. Again, I find it questionable. This one looks to be completely unworn. It has not been stitched together, and it looks absolutely brand new (which is rather troublesome to me). This one has the red bobbin thread on the backside of the roundel. The RZM tag really worries me... Although it has the proper "D" on it, the space for the maker (A4) is blank. I want to call this one a fake...

?

daveward.. The realm of S.S. items is as other collectors state is a difficult situation

I was lucky and studied here on the forum and stumbled upon a genuine S.S. relic.. I can only wish you the best on your perhaps new and great find.. Keep me informed as I look forward to many new finds and posts by you.. G

?

I do not particularly care for the armband in question at the beginning of this thread. It appears to be another variant of the following well-made fake.

The armband attached to the tunic (at right) above is genuine and for comparison.

Close up of ribbon...likely already improved upon.

?

I have a bit more confidence in the second item posted, however, it would obviously be something to inspect in person.

Regards,

CMH

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast