Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

SS-Zivilabzeichen - Interesting Fakes?

Article about: I have been studying up on the Hoffstätter SS-Zivilabzeichen, and I've become acquainted with the characteristics of these pins. I'm used to seeing the fakes with white runes or blank backs,

Default SS-Zivilabzeichen - Interesting Fakes?

I have been studying up on the Hoffstätter SS-Zivilabzeichen, and I've become acquainted with the characteristics of these pins. I'm used to seeing the fakes with white runes or blank backs, and I've seen quite a few of the reproductions with the raised lettering, as well as the ones with the "Hoffstätter Bonn Ges. Gesch." maker's mark arranged above and below the base of the pin, in a circular pattern. The commonly held belief is that pins without the proper maker's mark along the bottom edge of the backside, or without a number, are fakes. I have recently encountered 2 pieces that differ from most of the fakes I've seen, but are not consistent with known authentic examples (to my knowledge). Based on what I've read, these are likely fakes. I am submitting them here so that they may be documented and discussed.

The first one is a piece with the correct maker's mark, but no number on the back. The pin itself has a strange groove/imperfection in it. On the front, the runes look a little thin. Here it is:

SS-Zivilabzeichen - Interesting Fakes?

The second pin also has a convincing maker's mark, as well as a serial number. However, the pin lacks the soldered base that we see on known originals. The runes are obscured in this photo, but the rings look a little disproportionate.

SS-Zivilabzeichen - Interesting Fakes?SS-Zivilabzeichen - Interesting Fakes?

I thought these were interesting because I have not come across any reproductions with convincing maker's marks before. I am assuming that these are fakes, but I'd like to hear your opinions! Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Zivilabzeichen - Interesting Fakes?
    P
    Many