Become our sponsor and display your banner here

SSVT Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen

Article about: This photo was a favorite of my friend Darryl Pajot, who no longer posts in these sites, but was an expert in black helmets. The Olymipic stadium is still there in the far west of Berlin, bu

Default SSVT Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen

This photo was a favorite of my friend Darryl Pajot, who no longer posts in these sites, but was an expert in black helmets.

The Olymipic stadium is still there in the far west of Berlin, but where are these men and their headwear almost 75 years later?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-P017217,_Berlin,_Olympiade,_SS_lagert_vor_Olympiastadion.jpg 
Views:	6068 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	21726  
    damit, basta.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Default Re: SSVT Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen

Dear Colleague, whatever the cause, Darryl has taken wing for other locales. I shall leave the commentary to other sites to others, but the phrase "sod 'em" seems pretty correct to me. Happy holidays.

Maybe these men are from the Nachrichtensturmbann d. SSVT, I think? The contrast of the black uniform and their wearers lounging around in very unmartial poses is amusing, as is the thought the collective value of these helmets in today's militaria market. If more than one of them survives in the year 2008, I should be very surprised, indeed. Probably the helmets were all destroyed, and, more important, many of the men you see here were soon enough killed or wounded in battle.
    damit, basta.