Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SSVT Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen

Article about: This photo was a favorite of my friend Darryl Pajot, who no longer posts in these sites, but was an expert in black helmets. The Olymipic stadium is still there in the far west of Berlin, bu

Default SSVT Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen

This photo was a favorite of my friend Darryl Pajot, who no longer posts in these sites, but was an expert in black helmets.

The Olymipic stadium is still there in the far west of Berlin, but where are these men and their headwear almost 75 years later?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SSVT  Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SSVT  Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen
    P
    Many

Default Re: SSVT Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen

Dear Colleague, whatever the cause, Darryl has taken wing for other locales. I shall leave the commentary to other sites to others, but the phrase "sod 'em" seems pretty correct to me. Happy holidays.

Maybe these men are from the Nachrichtensturmbann d. SSVT, I think? The contrast of the black uniform and their wearers lounging around in very unmartial poses is amusing, as is the thought the collective value of these helmets in today's militaria market. If more than one of them survives in the year 2008, I should be very surprised, indeed. Probably the helmets were all destroyed, and, more important, many of the men you see here were soon enough killed or wounded in battle.

?

Looks like ss-vt n to me ss runes small n blank cufftitle.!

Quote by lammy View Post
    Looks like ss-vt n to me ss runes small n blank cufftitle.!
    I don't think so.

The 1936 Olympic Summer Games in Berlin were held from 1 to 16 August 1936. The cadre for Sturmbann "N" was formed in August/September 1936 and the battalion officially founded on 1 October 1936.

The collar patches aren't clear enough to make a positive ID, but looking at the collar patch of the man in the left foreground, the device after the SS runes seems fairly tall. I agree with FB: I think they are members of the Nachrichtensturmbann.

?

It really is a nice image. Thanks for posting it. It does look like a signals collar tab on the man in front. I can't tell what the others wear but one appears to me to be blank. The photographer A. Frankl left a catalog that deserves a look. The Bundesarchiv is an amazing resource.
    Here is the stadium at an earlier date.
    SSVT  Maenner an den Olympischen SpielenSSVT  Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen
    Follow this link for many more of Frankl's photos.
    Bundesarchiv - Picture database: Picture archive
    SSVT  Maenner an den Olympischen Spielen
    Last edited by jHAM; 05-10-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Well done. This post of mine was in the halcyon days of 2008 when Adrian, Bob and I set out to build this site.
    The world has turned many times since then, and the regalia netherworld has grown sick with poison.
    Some of you have outdone yourselves with fine, fine threads, while in the last five years, a legion of ankle biters
    and poison dwarfs with bodacious affect and a deep sense of how the world has wronged them robbed a handful here
    of months and months of hard labor, and also befouled a lot of very nice regalia.

Andreas is always right, and Mr. JHAM is a spectacular picture researcher. The Nuremberg SS VT outfit is not pictured in Berlin-Westend in the summer of 1936.

Amazingly, much of the Olympic compound remains, or at least it did several years ago. The men and their helmets are long gone though.