Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on this eagle

Article about: Hi all. Newbie here. Ive lurked for a while and this is my first post. I bought the attached SS eagle at an estate sale along with the vets bronze star,Good Conduct medal and town medal. Thi

Default Thoughts on this eagle

Hi all. Newbie here. Ive lurked for a while and this is my first post. I bought the attached SS eagle at an estate sale along with the vets bronze star,Good Conduct medal and town medal. This was in the box with these items. Not sure if real. Looks very new. So Im here to ask the experts. Please take a look and let me know if real or fake. If fake how can you tell and where was it made(if known). Thx
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thoughts on this eagle   Thoughts on this eagle  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on this eagle
    P
    Many

Default Re: Thoughts on this eagle

I don't have a good feeling about this one, but SS eagles aren't my area of expertiese, so i will let the "pro's" decide.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Sorry, it is a known fake. Note the shape of the body of the bird compared to an original. An original is much slimmer.

Cheers, Ade.

To me this is a real shame. There is a fair amount of work/detail in this eagle and I am just sad for the owner that it turned out to be a copy.

Thanks Ade...I really paid nothing for this so not disappointed(well maybe...but not mad). My only issue is this was in the box neatly with the other items. Thats why Im asking where/when this copy is from. Its definately not a cheap one thats for sure. I guess Im hoping aginst hope that its real. Ive seen 2 that look like it...one on snyders site...yes I know his rep so no need to hash it out here. But saw a similar one on germania international(not sure of this sites credentials). So can someone show me a detailed look why it cannot be good? Just seems odd...this was a 90 year old man...no internet...he was bed ridden for the last 10 years......so if he bought it...it must have been at least 10 years ago...thats why I was asking when it was produced it...

Hi Joe, these fakes have been around 30 years now. SS insignia has always been valueable and in great demand and so well worth reproducing. Buying from someone old and even a Veteran does not automatically ensure an item is original. People pick things up over the years from antiques shows and flea markets and it does not always originate from WW2 just becuase they own it. The average person has no idea this stuff is faked. I was given a fake eagle from the estate of a Veteran who's daughter I was at school with. The family had no idea it was a fake or how he picked it up, but it dated from the 1970's.

The second site you mentioned is also not a good place to shop for original items.

Cheers, Ade.