MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual variation of a Norwegian SS-badge "Frontkjemper"

Article about: Hello lads, This badge looks strange to me, but as I trust the seller I would not ride to any conclusions without hear with the WR people first! What do you think? Something you would pay fo

Default Unusual variation of a Norwegian SS-badge "Frontkjemper"

Hello lads,

This badge looks strange to me, but as I trust the seller I would not ride to any conclusions without hear with the WR people first!

What do you think? Something you would pay for?

Take care,
    Tyler

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual variation of a Norwegian SS-badge "Frontkjemper"
    P
    Many

Solid back and no silver markings --- obverse details are hard to make out due to the poor quality photo but this also looks not up to par, at least for a silver badge (which again would be marked). There's 7 original wartime variations, 6 being silver (all silver marked) and one in zinc. Then there's 3 replacement variations. Is this a zinc badge?
    Last edited by slados28; 08-28-2016 at 07:24 PM.

It does not look like zink, the red/rusty colored patches on the back leads me to think copper?

Best,
    Tyler

- - ------- - -

Or maybe brass...

Zinc usually oxidize into a white mush, not red rust. It might be zinc plated but why would you plate something made from brass in zinc? It does not make any sense to me...

If not zinc it's not good (as silver would be hollow behind the shield and silver marked) --- as I've gathered that would be the only type with no markings and more or less all solid reverse. And, I of course agree, this looks like some other type metal that has been silver plated. No good.

Could it be a private purchase perhaps?

I do not find any information about this particular fake.

But the fact that it does not appear to be zinc or silver is not good.

Best regards,
    Tyler

I guess by saying "private purchase" you could sort of make any oddity/relatively well made production work --- seems to me a good way of losing money, as these originals are no cheap.

Bottom line should be that with all known variations it's either silver or zinc. 7 wartime, 6 in silver and 1 in zinc --- 3 period replacement variations, all silver.

No they are not. I would assume that any accepted original would fetch around 2500 USD.

I do not say "Private Purchase", just asking.

You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge on this matter. The subject of SS volunteer badges is very interesting and I am not a experienced collector on the area yet.

Best regards,
    Tyler

$2500 is extreme for a single unattributed badge. I got my attributed set of full size and miniature for less than that --- and yes, I know you're not saying "private purchase" yet, just wanted to point out that it's a dangerous idea to entertain with no other provenance suggesting so. Also, the fact that it differs in almost every way from all the 10, both original and period replacement, variations known and accepted should speak for itself.

Good luck finding a nice original, I would stick to the known and proven wartime variations, anything else would be asking for trouble.

Thank you Slados,

Another question for you. How much might the mini cost?

Best regards,
    Tyler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast