Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

W-SS shoulder board construction ?

Article about: I am trying to learn more about SS shoulder board construction and want to ask if glue was ever use to bond officer grade tops to the piping and black base of shoulder boards of the SS? Or e

Default W-SS shoulder board construction ?

I am trying to learn more about SS shoulder board construction and want to ask if glue was ever use to bond officer grade tops to the piping and black base of shoulder boards of the SS? Or even/Heer/Luftwaffe?

I have a pair of SS officer shoulder boards which look to have been uniform removed. I've had these boards for years and in hand they look and feel right, but they have been glued together. I know that most boards that I've seen are sewn, but is this the only accepted method? Just wondering was the real method to construction of these pieces of insignia from mid to late-war?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the subject.
    All the best,
    David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W-SS shoulder board construction ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: W-SS shoulder board construction ?

I don't recall seeing glue in any of the boards I have had in the past . . . maybe some others can address that question. Here are some photos that may help, and even spur on further discussion . . .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS shoulder board construction ?   W-SS shoulder board construction ?  

Thank you NC for these two excellent photos! I hope others will check their boards and chime in.
    All the best,
    David

I hope this helps with your question. I just happen to have a board that is very salty and appears to have crusty glue where it has been separated. I am not sure what branch it is (I would like to think it is the 17th SS but another forum member is going to have to speak on that) but I think it answers your construction question. I believe this peice to be late war.

Regards

Jeff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS shoulder board construction ?   W-SS shoulder board construction ?  

W-SS shoulder board construction ?  

Thanks Jeff for posting your board. Does the cording on the top appear to be sewn to the black piping? Or is it glued as well?

Thanks again for posting these images guys.
    All the best,
    David

?

if thats glue on the back vets always loved to glue there war items to something? i could be looking at it wrong?

i am not aware of the Germans ever using any type of glue or adhesive for shoulder board manufacture,,,all i have ever seen was that they were all sewn together examples

Here's the boards in question.

Thanks for all replies so far.
    All the best,
    David