Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

W-SS tunic in salty cond.

Article about: I would really like to see them, DDavies. Let me know when you get them in the mail. Late war items can get pretty controversial. I wonder how many other items have been deemed bad due to th

I dare say we cannot say as a rule that insignia were constantly removed and re-applied for cleaning purposes.

Whether or how often this was done would have depended on the nature of the insignia, the garment to which they were affixed and the cleaning process involved. For example:

A lightweight, washable white cotton summer tunic that was about to be laundered and bleached would need to have had its officer's shoulder boards and hand-embroidered sleeve eagle and velvet collar patches removed, or they would have been utterly destroyed. (Hence, the insignia on such garments were typically attached by means such as snap fasteners, screwposts etc.)

A field grey walking-out-, parade-, dress- or office tunic, worn under clean conditions and in no direct contact with the wearer's skin would typically require no other treatment than any civilian suit of the era, i.e. airing out, "brush and steam" and, if necessery, the local removal of individual stains with cleaner's solvent. This would not require the removal of insignia. (Full cleaning would only have been necessary in case it was really soiled by, say, spilt beverages or something.)

A field blouse with enlisted-grade shoulder straps and machine-woven collar patches, sleeve eagle and cuff title could be cleaned by whatever means appropriate without necessating the removal of its insignia, as they would not suffer to any significant degree in the process.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-07-2013 at 04:59 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement W-SS tunic in salty cond.
    P
    Many

they where not getting removed ....
    You see this matter mostly on white summer tunics or view other tunics where the insignias are detachable with press buttons.

?

Thanks guys. I have seen some insignia with snaps before. That makes sense for removal to clean. As for mine, I'm sure we will have better opinions after I take a bit of time and take better images in good lighting and maybe natural light.
    As for the sleeve eagle, I have a good feeling about it being real and original to this tunic. For one thing, it's machine sewn, there's no trace of another one ever being there, and then removed.if there was not one there before, then why not? If the tab(s) are original to the tunic, why wouldnt there also be an Adler? And If they(at least the rank tab) were added later and not original, then why is there no sign of other one being there? Why is the tunic obviously worn in rough conditions if the Adler was never there before? This wouldn't pass regulations. It's not like this was found in a depot without insignia , then added post war..if that was the case, then it would be in much better condition.
    Last edited by Dean; 08-08-2013 at 09:36 AM.

original material of the ss is so damm rare that you can be very happy about this jackt by self.
    I live in Germany, much stuff around but SS tunics rare rare rare ... Of course online you can buy 20 in one hour ;-)

Dean you lucky dog. Go get that helmet (for me? )!

?

I've got you're helmet right here!..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS tunic in salty cond.   W-SS tunic in salty cond.  

W-SS tunic in salty cond.  

Did you take the cuff title off?

?

The helmet is the best match for the display that I could find at the moment.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS tunic in salty cond.   W-SS tunic in salty cond.  

Last edited by Dean; 08-12-2013 at 05:14 PM.

?

Quote by YouthCollector: .." Did you take the cufftitle off?.."

Yes, I did. I feel a bit better now. I forgot to mention that , or show an image.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture W-SS tunic in salty cond.  
    Last edited by Dean; 08-08-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Good call (thumbs up). If you get a chance, can you post a close, clear photograph of the area where the cuff title was prior to you removing it? I'd like to see if there's any evidence of a cuff title being there before the fake was added.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast