MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Waffen 7 SS- Freiwilligen-Gebirgs-division Prince Eugen

Article about: Hello folks, My question is regarding the sleeve eagles used on foreign volunteer units tunics. I am specifically curious of the prince eugen units from the Balkans. I realize the division w

?

Default Waffen 7 SS- Freiwilligen-Gebirgs-division Prince Eugen

Hello folks,
    My question is regarding the sleeve eagles used on foreign volunteer units tunics. I am specifically curious of the prince eugen units from the Balkans. I realize the division was reorganized and formed on October 22, 1943 and only officers may wear the SS runes. From my understanding the Odal rune was worn by enlisted men for its representation of kinship since Himmler did not consider a true SS-division but rather a volksdeutsche.

My question is around the enlisted man's sleeve eagle in general and the supplies used on these tunics. I have read that army tunics were used in many cases for waffen SS division with Dachua created insignia for example and it is well documented. Has any of our members seen in period photos, collections or anywhere a 1st style SS sleeve eagle on one of these freiwilligen tunics? I am familiar with the Odal rune tab, edelweiss patch and prince eugen cufftitle but was wondering about any additional information on sleeve eagles. I sure there was a stock of those 1st style eagles once the second pattern became the standard.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen 7 SS- Freiwilligen-Gebirgs-division Prince Eugen
    P
    Many

?

Does any one have a tunic with first pattern SS adler? Or any photos of a tunic with it mounted on the sleeve?

?

There is a tunic of the type that you mention on p.66 of W. Krawczyk and P.V. Lukacs, Waffen SS Uniforms and Insignia (2001). It has what is described in the text as a "SS-VT" sleeve eagle.

Philip

?

Philip,
    Thanks for your help! I have come across a tunic that has the 1st pattern Adler from an old collection and the insignia of the 7th Waffen SS division. I have looked into purchasing this book.