Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waffen SS officer tunic

Article about: Hi All Is this one ok? Cheers George

Default Waffen SS officer tunic

Hi All
    Is this one ok?
    Cheers

George
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Waffen SS officer tunic   Waffen SS officer tunic  

Waffen SS officer tunic   Waffen SS officer tunic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen SS officer tunic
    P
    Many

Default Re: Waffen SS officer tunic

Phew, that is a big ask.

This tunic has things that I do like on it and some others that I do not.

I am not a fan of the finish to the back of the collar, the finish to the wool on the tunic or the plastic buttons used on the inside to reinforce the stitching of the actual tunic buttons.

I do like the shoulder straps and the pointed collar, but I would prefer to have the thing in hand as although it is without doubt a nice piece of tailoring, it still does not look right to me.

I hope that you will get more decisive replies than mine and that some of the other members will give you a more definitive answer.

?

Everything appears original and correct to me...you just never know when the insignias were applied but they are very nice. I would not mind owning it. I would add that the collar backing material in this type of officer tunic made from this wool grade was very common.

?

Are you sure.........!! Officer quality?? A collar like that??

I'd wait for a more respected opinion.

?

Yes I am sure .I have seen this on late to mid war Heer officer tunics quite often and a couple SS...I have over 35 years experience with tunics. But if one cannot form a confident opinion based on their own expertise I would say why even comment? The possibility it was rebadged is a better question but only some tiny things shown would cause me to want to take a closer look.

One major criterion is the Hoheitszeichen, of which very refined fakes exist and which I do not understand.

I owned a very handsome hand made Hoheitszeichen in the 1970s, but it is long gone the way of all things physical.

far be it from me to argue with the experience here, but i personally find the collar strange.

not the material used, but the cut. i haven't seen an example of such an elongated point collar before.

you live and learn, i suppose.

i agree with Magwa7 on the insignia... the tabs look very right. the rank pips are of the type with the short prongs integral to the edge of each. but with tunics themselves i lack experience.

?

The collar may be an indicator of tailoring specifically for SS tabs. Factory made SS tunics are made with wider collars than their heer counterparts. this is a custom tailored piece and I would say the collar is very custom tailored.

The hoheitszeichen or Eagle is correctly embroidered and gives every indication of originality..however these must now be subjected to hands on inspection for an official determination now because the fakes are excellently made too.

The things that are troublesome with these Waffen SS officer tunics is this...the fakes are near if not perfect now..the wear and age does not show at all on this piece in photos so one cannot say how old it is. The insignias also show no age although they are perfect examples and appear original...the rank is relatively high at a battalion commander level...it could be the walking out dress for a Sturmartillerie unit commander or it could just be a post war creation made from original material and insignias. I'd love to inspect it in hand to see for certain.

The collar is an indicator that the wearer of the tunic (if original) liked to follow the fashion of the time and may have had a more styleized collar added but this does not guarantee that the tunic is SS as I had a perfectly good tunic with the same type collar on a Heer gefreiter tunic.It was very much a style of the time, just like the very baggy trousers that were also in vogue or the later style of open neck tunic collar that superseded the one shown later in the war.

Slightly larger collars are to be found on some SS other ranks issue tunics in order to accomodate the rune patches but that is not the same thing and I would reiterate that this tunic does show some good and some bad attributes and as such, I would not be happy with it.

I too am undecided about the eagle and if I was to try and sum it up my heart would say "yes" but my gut would say "No" and as such, I would be inclined to keep my money in my pocket.

i

Yes the collar is unusally long and pointed. I would say custom tailored but... by a young tailor with limited experence?? Yes, I do agree just some things on the tunic that I'm 100% comfortable with...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast