Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This Way Up!

Article about: by BenVK Much of the thanks to all our research must go to FB and Wilhelm Saris, I don't know of many others who have the studied the era to such an extent but still are so generous in shari

?

Default Re: This Way Up!

I would have mentioned Mr.d'Alquen too but I fear I upset him recently.

Actually, that's ridiculous, I should absolutely mention Mr.d'Alquen regardless of our differences. He has enlightened so many minds, including mine and I thank him for that.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement This Way Up!
    P
    Many

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I would have mentioned Mr.d'Alquen too but I fear I upset him recently.

Actually, that's ridiculous, I should absolutely mention Mr.d'Alquen regardless of our differences. He has enlightened so many minds, including mine and I thank him for that.
    as do I....

- - Updated - -

and I thank all here who cooperate with one another and think together in good spirit versus the opposite that is the absurd norm elsewhere....

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    as do I....

- - Updated - -

and I thank all here who cooperate with one another and think together in good spirit versus the opposite that is the absurd norm elsewhere....
    Among the list of those who deserve rich thanks are my Bavarian friend, whose erudition and generosity set the standard for all here to emulate.

I think Mr. HPL2008 is a champ, and his behavior so utterly is counterpoised to the witless, immature and puerile rantings seen on the other sites.

Danke sehr.

This came out if a collection being broken up in Houston about 40 years ago.
    Opinions?This Way Up!This Way Up!

Bravo. Mr. Joe B Texasueberalles is another of my favorite people.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    As concerns websites and good ole Wiki what ever, the latter is just lifted straight from Mollo or the books that lifted from Mollo, which is more the case, since Mollo was the pioneer.
    Could not agree more. I recall my first sight of the Mollo series - a true awakening. The series, to this day, appears to be the pillar upon which most all of the new work is continued to be built upon - tidbits of new information continue to rear head, but to this day, the best compilation of knowledge, in concise format, still rests in this location . . .

Funny thing I forgot to mention . . . a close friend of mine recognized the name Mollo at the recent expose of the Munich Polizei. I find that atypical, and equally curious . . .

This Way Up!
    Quote by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    Could not agree more. I recall my first sight of the Mollo series - a true awakening. The series, to this day, appears to be the pillar upon which most all of the new work is continued to be built upon - tidbits of new information continue to rear head, but to this day, the best compilation of knowledge, in concise format, still rests in this location . . .
    I could not agree with you more. However, for young people who solely rely on this instrument, the Mollo books are old hat, even if the revised edition is also twenty years old and the original from 1968 or 1971.
    The latter dates are impossibly old. As am I, of course.

?

I must agree with F-B that Mollo does the best job explaining the constantly changing uniforms and units that I have read. It does not have all the glamor of the large photo books that show a few items in detail but don't explain much. A close reading of Mollo will show that much of the descriptions are almost direct translation from the price lists. He places the uniforms in the context of their history and creation. It is not the flashiest but it has the most detail. The new book by the Englishman has a lot of large color photos and some basic explanation of the structure of the SS and useful small charts but seems to me to have missed the depth of Mollo. It does show some very nice pieces and it has many interesting photos and is probably worth the money for that alone. My knowledge has grown in leaps and bounds due to this forum and its many fine contributers. My thanks to them all.
    This Way Up!This Way Up!This Way Up!This Way Up!This Way Up!This Way Up!This Way Up!This Way Up!

Thank you. I have to buy the new book from Britain, which represents the 21st century approach to all of this. However, placing the item in the spotlight without the organizational and chronological context is an error.
    Such a practice corresponds to collector group think.
    Lumsden's book on the SS was really pretty good, open, and of merit, even if it, too, followed Mollo.
    The Beaver books place the item in the foreground without real context, or sort of.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast