Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

What defines an "early" SS cap?

Article about: see above. a.) badges? b.) date, if then, what date? c.) other, if then, what other? d.) when is "early" something else, as in "middle wise" or "late." I am int

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?My colleague Joe B in Texas has a similar cap to that posted in # 88. It appeared with this tunic. What defines an "early" SS cap?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What defines an "early" SS cap?
    P
    Many

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?An enlisted cap upgraded to an officer's cap, also dated 1935 with a '35-'36 tag (?) This cap is in the Shea Beaver book. Shea specializes in caps that have been upgraded, and Dr. CMH has a similar one to this shown here. Isken, Koeln, which the picture book suggests made no caps in the III. Reich.

?

To continue the theme, the following are photos of the similar upgraded cap purchased from Shea:

Photos courtesy of Shea

Not everyone is a fan of these type of upgraded caps, perhaps too many questions regarding concerns of when the upgrade was performed. I, personally, like the evidence of honest use and care for what has likely been a cap that has seen prolonged use within the short-lived and violent life of the Third Reich.

?

I have no problem with upgraded caps, in fact, I find them rather interesting and in tune with the ethos of the period. That is to say, an understanding of the value of expertly made clothing/uniforms and the desire to recycle them. Not like today.

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I have no problem with upgraded caps, in fact, I find them rather interesting and in tune with the ethos of the period. That is to say, an understanding of the value of expertly made clothing/uniforms and the desire to recycle them. Not like today.
    Ben is one of the few in tune with the context of these things. This includes the skill that one requires to make one of these caps correctly, a skill that has largely been lost to time and the march of "progress."
    We all profit from Ben's knowledge and kindness. Additionally, if I ever needed a cap repaired I would seek him out...and pay him handsomely for his service.

Thanks, colleagues, for the additional material and inquiry.

Can anyone comment on the small black asterisk seen on the botton line of oilcloth tags? Sometimes they're present other times absent....? Thanks!

?

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Can anyone comment on the small black asterisk seen on the botton line of oilcloth tags? Sometimes they're present other times absent....? Thanks!
    I believe this was a part of the device that aided in alignment of the sequence of numbers to the space on the tags

Sounds feasible, thank you!

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?German numbers stamps come with the star thingy or a Number symbol. The star thingy may mean the same as "No." or "Nr."
    The tags had to be bought by the cap firm from the RZM in accordance with the respective license (cap factory, cap maker, textile maker, etc.) and each tag had its own serial number.
    Elsewhere we have endeavored to explain the series of laws and RZM dictates that led to this system of tags, markings, licenses, banishment of logos, etc.
    I have a hypothesis as to the date, more or less, of certain tags, and such. But such is a guess.
    Many black SS caps of early date are devoid of such tags. Some of later date are devoid of RZM marks, actually. Mr. Saris well makes this point in his bool.
    An RZM tag hardly means a cap is real; the absence of same hardly means a cap is fake. The cap and the tag must fit together, which I am likely a fool to analyze here because our work has already aided the fakers.
    The white tag with the black runes and the black/white RZM logo was introduced in late 1934, that is, at some time after the advent of the RFSS standardized uniform, i.e. cap.
    The RZM material shows the variety of tags and their specific purpose, a colored code system and such.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast