Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

What defines an "early" SS cap?

Article about: see above. a.) badges? b.) date, if then, what date? c.) other, if then, what other? d.) when is "early" something else, as in "middle wise" or "late." I am int

?

Thanks in turn. I think so, too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What defines an "early" SS cap?
    P
    Many

Couple more shots....kepi's, service caps, tunics, brownshirts. And 2 guys sporting the new skulls on older style hats, pretty common. By removing those crown springs they could get the crusher or Frontkampfer look that was popular....if they wanted. A look that gets my vote.

Thanks to Mr. Saris for a fine answer.

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?Some examples, in no order.

- - ------- - -

Those with the runes and the tag are from mid 1934 onwards unless my theory is in error.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-19-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Mr. Saris has made the crucial point that these caps followed the fashion of the NSDAP PL cap (Rw Schnitt) , with the changing cap cover, which rose in height and grew in size as time passed.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-19-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Here is a cap that may possibly straddle the cusp of the transitional period....(?) A very upscale, fine quality trikot wool EM cap by Georg Bornschein, Dusseldorf. As seen-- early skull but topped with '37 Pol. eagle. In my eyes not really tellerform but not a sattleform either....would anyone like to opine?

"Mr. Saris has made the crucial point that these caps followed the fashion of the NSDAP PL cap (Rw Schnitt)"

From the regulations for the political leaders it is obvious they followed the forms for the army. For that they indicated them as Wehrmachtsschnitt (with a number). The SS followed this largely.
    I include a short description from the manufacturing regulation from the RZM from 1934, as published in the Mitteilungsblatt der RZM; the name as mentioned in the RZM manufacturing-regulations (Herstellungsvorschriften) and as in "Die Uniformen der Politischen Leiter der NSDAP" from 1939.

The top for the above cap was officially not higher then 5.7 cm.
    The top was 6.6 cm in mid-1935.
    In 1936 the height was reduced anyway into 6.3 cm.

The top for the 1938 cap and 1939 cap officially was as 7.5 cm. This was the same
    height as described for the white top SS visored cap (mentioned in the Mitteilungsblatt
    der RZM
    from October 7, 1939). This height was not exactly the same as for the
    Werkschar visored cap and for example the visored cap for the NSKOV, as this was 5.1 cm.

Note that the three images all are related to visored caps for political leaders. Top sizes may and will
    have deviated between the many headgear-manufacturers. One can be sure about that!

Thanks so much for a fine intervention and the excellent documentary analysis from your books. We are very grateful for your kind aid to our inquiry.

Wim,
    I'm not altogether sure that your statement: "The leaders caps do have a white cloth piping (not aluminum), as in its begining all pipings were of such material." is correct if you are including kepis in the definition of early caps.
    In early documents there are several references to silver piping on the cap. Here is an early order from March, 1929 that refers to silver piping on the cap.
    d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What defines an "early" SS cap?  

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Wim,
    I'm not altogether sure that your statement: "The leaders caps do have a white cloth piping (not aluminum), as in its begining all pipings were of such material." is correct if you are including kepis in the definition of early caps.
    In early documents there are several references to silver piping on the cap. Here is an early order from March, 1929 that refers to silver piping on the cap.
    d'Alquen
    Very interesting document as well. Thanks for posting it for us.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast