Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

What defines an "early" SS cap?

Article about: see above. a.) badges? b.) date, if then, what date? c.) other, if then, what other? d.) when is "early" something else, as in "middle wise" or "late." I am int

?

Not sure of the correct sewing terminology, I just sew these things back together and the owners pay me next to nothing! Probably how it was during the period.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What defines an "early" SS cap?
    P
    Many

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?
    Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    I love those examples with eyelets! Am glad you're still onboard Ben. We're having fun reviewing the great early things.
    By the way-- re: the early one you posted with eyelets-- is the crown lining 'machine sewn' to the cap band? Usually we see that pleated material attached to the bottom material using a basting stitch.

Sorry, I missed that sentence in your previous post. Thats an interesting way that cap was assembled.
    If you look closely you can see what Ben means in this image.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-21-2013 at 05:01 AM.

What defines an "early" SS cap?or here.

You will also notice the similarity of the handwriting on the two tags for "RZM." These are caps from the same no. German maker, Wille.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-21-2013 at 04:56 AM.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Quite intriguing that the emphasis has turned to these earlier examples now.

I remember when I first started collecting, the only black cap to buy was the one with all the "bells and whistles" in mint condition or so I was told.

Glad to see a fundamental tidal shift.
    These early caps have their own poetry as well as rarity.

Their variety is also intriguing, and deserves some analysis. Thus was my goal with this thread.

I do want to thank especially Mr. Saris for his role here. I write books for a living, and the effort associated with same is monumental, and not immediately clear to those who have no experience of the thing. My books are not anywhere near as interesting as Mr. Saris' by any means.
    I look at his books several times a week, and am always delighted to learn something new. To be sure, no book is without its flaws, but his work is a monument in our field and a source of joy and pleasure to me.
    We are very lucky that he shares what he knows with us, and I especially wish him a merry Christmas and happy new year and much good fortune in the year to come.
    He has done a great deal to propel this site to an even higher level.

Thanks FB for the most kind and praising words. Many years ago I considered what to do with the many regulations I had purchased from all kinds of TR organizations.
    I may have about 275 file-maps with 100-250 pages each with structures and uniform-information.

I could keep all of this information for myself or write articles (and later books) for those that are interested in the various and many subjects. From some subjects I do not
    have or hardly have any knowledge (orders and decorations, daggers and swords and more). So, I do not write about them. One starts with a subject and it is being published.
    Practically always, at a later date, one thinks one should have done it otherwise, as occasionally lack of information gives me grey hair and not all what I intended to tell, I was
    able to include. Collectors around do have that missing information, but do not assist and so they remain sitting on their valuable information. As I do not collect for many
    years I have to depend on others, (real) friends and collectors, that help me out with their material and and above all photographs of items worn and in use. They are the ones
    that are to be credited! Without their help I could not have done many of the books. In gratitude their names often adorn the covers.

Occasionally about a subject is written, which later seems not such a good subject (well the subject is good, but collectors do not understand the value of the given information).
    By now over 100 articles are published (sometimes in more than one part and about subjects hardly ever before dealt with) and 11 books are being released, one to come. From
    some I had expected more, as for example my most excellent book about aiguillettes, a book which gives far more information about uniform-introduction then only the adjutant
    and parade aiguillettes (many collectors have no idea about them at all), or my gorget-book (here the German language will be the spoil-part). At this moment I am in dubio with
    volume 6 for the headgear-series: it will deal with the HJ-organization in all its aspects, but also the many school-systems in which the HJ or youth was involved (AHS, Ordensburgen,
    Starnbergersee, Studentenbund, NPEA, music-schools, Waisenhaus-institutions and so on). There is so much to tell, but it can only be one volume. So, what do I include and
    what I cannot include, due to the fact the book will grown into another "monster", as for example my book about HJ triangels and shoulder-straps/boards).

Time will learn how much time is left for me. My egg-timer has not much to give anymore when one is over 70. As done before:
    I wish all of you a great Christmas, a good Holiday Season and above all a healthy and prosperous 2014 with lots of new items for the collection to fondle!!

Wilhelm or as in Dutch: Wim

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post

Time will learn how much time is left for me. My egg-timer has not much to give anymore when one is over 70. As done before:
    I wish all of you a great Christmas, a good Holiday Season and above all a healthy and prosperous 2014 with lots of new items for the collection to fondle!!

Wilhelm or as in Dutch: Wim
    Back at you, Wim - I'm sure I speak for everyone here, when I say, may the Christmas Season be of equal rewards to you and yours as well.

With any luck, may have an opportunity to cross through the Wallonia countryside this year - if so, maybe we'll find a moment to get together, and talk about kimono's?

Let me know: Wallonia into Dutch Brabant is not so far!!
    You remember: no TR, yes kimono (and Asian chopsticks).
    As I am living only in a small appartment much of my kimono are in boxes.

Sorry guys, but this thread should be related to early SS headgear, isn't?
    So, no more private talk, but caps, endless caps to be shown........

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?Another early SS cap, this one made, I think, by Kupper for the "SS Gruppe West." This sort of cap, i.e. whereby a subordinate echelon directly procured such headwear, was forbidden in 1934 with the introduction of the RFSS model system.

- - ------- - -

This cap has been in several Schiffer books. It has no RZM marks.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-22-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast