Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

What defines an "early" SS cap?

Article about: see above. a.) badges? b.) date, if then, what date? c.) other, if then, what other? d.) when is "early" something else, as in "middle wise" or "late." I am int

What defines an "early" SS cap?This cap is also in the Hayes book, and is of somewhat later date, I think. It has "vorschriftsmaessig" on the sweat shield in case anyone doubts it, but I assume as a result of the order for standardization.
    Between Wim Saris' book and my reading of the RZM thingies, I have more acute theories on all of this.
    But I am open to corrections.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-21-2013 at 09:23 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What defines an "early" SS cap?
    P
    Many

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?Another cap of early make, devoid of marks, found by Jenkins and Ben arranged for me to buy it, for which I thank him.
    It is a very nice cap.

What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?Here is an SS officer's cap from Mueller in Munich, which has the maker's logo and, I think, a 1935-6 tag, but I am not so sure about the date of the tag.
    It already has a very saddle shape.
    The use of logos was forbidden in 1935, I believe.

This cap is in the Wilkins book on caps. It came from Shea, who said it was found in an antique store in New York City......
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 12-22-2013 at 04:08 PM.

I include this officer's cap since it is or is not from the point where the SS caps assumes the taller crown, saddle shape epoch, but I am not exactly sure.

It is a wonderful cap, and its textile is of better quality than the later variant as seen in the years 1937-1939/40.

But these are all hunches.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    What defines an "early" SS cap?What defines an "early" SS cap?Another cap of early make, devoid of marks, found by Jenkins and Ben arranged for me to buy it, for which I thank him.
    It is a very nice cap.
    I don't mind confirming your good taste in SS caps. Not that it means very much but, I wouldn't mind owning any of the examples you've shown. Granted, there are stunning later examples in black, for sure, but the early ones really speak...maybe just the recapitulation of the Leib Hussar panache.

Thanks. If you write me a large check, you can have many SS caps of various dates, and a number of black tunics to go with them. I will sell all of this at some point, despite the huge effort and expense of collecting it.
    My display of same is more for scholarship than profit, but I am pretty mortal, and I want to make sure that my wife will be freed of the burden when the time comes.

- - ------- - -

I have seen two men more or less my age, perhaps somewhat older, die recently with large collections, and in one case such was a great hardship for the family.

Very funny Friedrich, the first person I thought of was Goldfingers gatekeeper!

You do not want to suggest that my wife looks like this woman, do you?

My wife is fifteen years younger than me, and is very attractive.

I am also sure she could well handle an MP 40, also, as she had pre military training in the CSSR.

Yes, that's what I was afraid of!

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thanks. If you write me a large check, you can have many SS caps of various dates, and a number of black tunics to go with them. I will sell all of this at some point, despite the huge effort and expense of collecting it.
    My display of same is more for scholarship than profit, but I am pretty mortal, and I want to make sure that my wife will be freed of the burden when the time comes.

- - ------- - -

I have seen two men more or less my age, perhaps somewhat older, die recently with large collections, and in one case such was a great hardship for the family.
    F-B,
    I often wish I could talk you into documenting your collection into some sort of photo book (Which I know are not your favorite). However a collection as fine as yours deserves some sort of record. Imagine a book that combines your collection with that of Mr. Coleman and/or Mr. Delich. Such a book would benefit all future seekers of knowledge and immortalize your hard work in collecting such fine material. Another dream of mine would be to participate in the production of said work. Thank you for allowing this poor soul to dream!
    J Hamblen

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast