Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What is THIS?? HELP PLEASE

Article about: Due to the Tuetonic resemblence, im wondering if it could be a fixing for a sword or dagger handle, i believe there was a tuetonic order of knights during the war years which i would think w

?

Default Re: What is THIS?? HELP PLEASE

Quote by K.Lindblom View Post
    No way that's fake, and no way its a lapel badge.

Hi K

Are you saying that you think it IS or IS NOT fake?
    Just the way that you've responded and, with my "old grammar school cap" on, depending how you say "no way thats fake" could mean that you are saying there is no way that it is a fake OR stating that you feel that it IS a fake.

Just me being pedantic and no offence intended

Regards etc

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What is THIS?? HELP PLEASE
    P
    Many

Quote by jimpy View Post
    Hi K

Are you saying that you think it IS or IS NOT fake?
    Just the way that you've responded and, with my "old grammar school cap" on, depending how you say "no way thats fake" could mean that you are saying there is no way that it is a fake OR stating that you feel that it IS a fake.

Just me being pedantic and no offence intended

Regards etc

Ian D
    Ian,

Its not a fake in my mind, looks totally legit but thought I was looking at inches.

If it were a lapel badge, its the weirdest catch I have ever seen and totally non typical. Sorry about that.

Best,

Kris

?

Ian,

Its not a fake in my mind, looks totally legit but thought I was looking at inches.

If it were a lapel badge, its the weirdest catch I have ever seen and totally non typical. Sorry about that.

Best,

Kris
    No probs mate.

Must admit that I initially thought INCHES, then realised Teo is on the continent and therefore, by deduction, the scale is in centimetres.

With a size of approximately 4inches, that would put it in the "vehicle plaque" size to my mind, If, on the other hand, we are talking centimetres, I still think that we are looking at some sort of organisational lapel badge, although, I would agree with you that it has a very odd fixing for that.

Just had a thought, is there the possibility that it is some sort of HELMET BADGE?
    Im NOT thinking combat helmet here, I'm thinking safety/works type helmet. This could possibly account for (a) the size, (b) the "odd" type of fixing and (c) the distinct curve to it.

Regards etc

Ian D

If that were a lapel badge it would fall right out of the whole it sat in.

There is no reason to curve the retaining nut unless it was fixed to something with a curved backing as even if you drilled a hole in a coat for it which is the only way it would stay, you still do not need a curved nut to meet the rear of the badge. Unless it would force the shield downwards and keep it from spinning. But that could be achieved with a standard catch.

I do not get it other than to say that it could be part of a larger piece where the nut was affixed to something else. But at just over an inch a helmet would not really make too much sense to me.

K

Quote by jimpy View Post
    No probs mate.

Must admit that I initially thought INCHES, then realised Teo is on the continent and therefore, by deduction, the scale is in centimetres.

With a size of approximately 4inches, that would put it in the "vehicle plaque" size to my mind, If, on the other hand, we are talking centimetres, I still think that we are looking at some sort of organisational lapel badge, although, I would agree with you that it has a very odd fixing for that.

Just had a thought, is there the possibility that it is some sort of HELMET BADGE?
    Im NOT thinking combat helmet here, I'm thinking safety/works type helmet. This could possibly account for (a) the size, (b) the "odd" type of fixing and (c) the distinct curve to it.

Regards etc

Ian D

Helmet badge came to my mind as well.

It is concave and would seem to fit nicely on a helmet with a 'crest' - like Fire or Police types,
    especially with that large threaded post.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Helmet badge came to my mind as well.

It is concave and would seem to fit nicely on a helmet with a 'crest' - like Fire or Police types,
    especially with that large threaded post.
    Show me an organization that utilized a Teutonic shield within their group as a standard?.

Best,

Kris

Show me an organization that utilized a Teutonic shield within their group as a standard?.

Best,

Kris
    I can't think of any other possibilities for it's shape, design and size.
    I'm leaning toward civil, but I'm also just making suggestions,
    as nothing else comes to mind.

Maybe a homemade piece by a sympathizer................?
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I can't think of any other possibilities for it's shape, design and size.
    I'm leaning toward civil, but I'm also just making suggestions,
    as nothing else comes to mind.

Maybe a homemade piece by a sympathizer................?
    Well, I mean that is the point really. Its not standard, and its hand made with care.

This is SS not civil, at least that is my opinion looking at it. Could be civil but when you look at civil pieces of this nature you rarely see the quality and almost always have a generic appearance more in the style of N.S as a whole.

But its not a sun wheel swastika which is odd but maybe not? as its not standard. And the size is tiny!!.

If it were part of a larger piece the shield will generally take up a good amount of the space in scale with the surroundings. So for instance if it were part of a standing figure? that figure would probably be about 3 1/2 inches high.

Its very strange.

Best,

Kris

Could it have been made for one of those Nazi Teutonic processions, like the one seen on "Colour Of War"?

Method of attachment doesn't seem likely for clothing or caps-maybe a smaller vehicle like a motor bike or bicycle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast