Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?

Article about: Three weeks ago I picked up a small group of WWII military insignia at a local sale. In the box was a US WWII victory medal, a good conduct medal, some patches, and a bunch of other low end

Default What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?

Three weeks ago I picked up a small group of WWII military insignia at a local sale. In the box was a US WWII victory medal, a good conduct medal, some patches, and a bunch of other low end US insignia. However, in the box was a WWI signal corps screwback collar disk and I always grab those because the members of the WWI Air Corps wore signal corps insignia. Well I paid $10 for the group and came out with the WWI disk and a 15th Corps patch. When I started sorting through the box in an envelope was this patch. I would think it was fake because of how pointed the ends of the SS stitching is but this lady wasn't trying to scam anyone and all the rest of the stuff was legit. If it is fake I'm still happy with my collar insignia and patch!

What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?

They dont look like SS tabs but they could be lightning mabey for luftwaffe?
    Though I have never seen anything like them before?

What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?

Best regards,
    Patrick

When I go home tonight I'll take some pictures of the rest of the stuff. The envelope it was in was ancient looking its yellowed and you can tell they were in there for a long time because the fold on the bottom matches a crease in the envelope where they had been put in there and something laid on it to put that wrinkle in it. I actually laid a piece of fabric over it and tried to iron it out so they would lay flat. I didnt want to iron it directly because its a silk sort of material. I don't know what it is but I've got my fingers crossed!

?

This does not match the form or quality of period ss collar tabs. Take a look around the forum search for other examples and you will see the difference. Good luck with your collection.

What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?

The backing fabric looks very similar to Patch King patches, -which were made during the war and have become collectable, though I cannot say for certain that these are of that make- whilst the style of the edging is also something I would think is from a copy patch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What kind of SS tab is this? Fake?  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

the SS were very fussy about their collar tabs

A fake/fantasy patch; possibly a "biker" item. Definitely not a real piece of SS insignia.

?

Never seen anything like this before, and I would have to agree with HPL. Doesn't look like an example of SS insignia to me.

Regards,

Carl

I know its not German because like you say the quality isn't there. If it was cruder I would argue a trench art or field made item but it does look manufactured and machine stitched. I did think it was some sort of "biker" item but the cloth backing makes it seem like it is earlier than what I would think would be used for that sort of thing. I know if I saw it for sale and hadn't gotten it accidentally I would scream fake. I was wondering if maybe the same symbol was used before for something else. Like the swaz used for everything from 1920s medicine logos to pottery.

Quote by colt45 View Post
    the SS were very fussy about their collar tabs
    your right colt45 and its not even the correct shape. The first thing I thought was what idiot tried to fake a tab and didn't make it the right shape!