Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Would like opinions on my SS Götz von Berlichingen Tunic...

Article about: Hi all, I received this tunic today from the nephew of a woman who was a teenager in Germany at the end of the war (she recently passed away). The story his Aunt told about the tunic is uniq

Default Re: Would like opinions on my SS Götz von Berlichingen Tunic...

Green piped straps would not be correct for this tunic GvB was not a Gebrigsjager unit and the SS did not utilize the colour green for panzergrenadier, it was only the Heer units that changed over from white to green, late on in the war.
    Other than that I agree with Dimas that the rest of it looks okay and on the basis that it did not cost you very much, I think that you really scored on this one and I am going a little "green" myself as I write this reply.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Would like opinions on my SS Götz von Berlichingen Tunic...
    P
    Many

?

Hi Bochmann. Thanks for the feedback. I wish the boards stood a chance of being original to the tunic, it would make the plausability of the other elements being original to the tunic as well. I agree with Dimas's comment regarding the cuff title... if a collector were going to restore a tunic like this, and do such a careful job of sewing it to the sleeve, why sew it on lower than standard. To me, that actually helps lend crediblity to the potential that the insignia (with the exception of the boards) are original wartime applied. What do you think?

True...but the inappropriate boards beggars the question of the original story. If a SS soldier took off his uniform and gave it to a shivering cold civilian girl to keep warm-then where did the boards come from? I somehow doubt that the girl put them on either at the time or during the post-war years. And, if the story is false, it throws the whole thing into a bad light.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Fine good tunic and insignias but the shoulderstraps are not correct for GvB. They wear the white piping till the end 1945.
    Have a look on my konvolut:
    Gift from a vets daughter.....
    regards
    Nikolaus

Please bear in mind that if a soldier joined a unit which did not have a cuff title he was allowed to retain his former unit's cuff title in wear on his tunic.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

i have a good feeling about this one for some reason.
    Please bear in mind that if a soldier joined a unit which did not have a cuff title he was allowed to retain his former unit's cuff title in wear on his tunic.
    i think Adrian is on the right track, at the end for the war some units were folded into each other.

Hmm...a mystery, for sure. But I Do like the tunic overall. Now if those frustrating bright green boards could just be explained....
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

There could be some other points too, if it was end of the war, soldiers didn't follow all of the orders how to properly wear uniforms, may be he changed unit, may be he got the straps which was available, may be he found green waffenfarbe as lucky color, or find green more fashionable... There a hundreds of photos when the soldiers wear wrong uniforms, even in the mid of war in trenches. I think all could be original to the tunic, and my advice is to keep the tunic as is, even you have a story with it. I doubt if someone will make a frankenstein for the money, I guess for the value of the shoulderstraps only
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Cheers, Ade.
    I guess that you have 2 choices, accept it as a former GvB tunic with Gebrigsjager straps but no Edelweiss badge or change the straps if you are not happy with them being green piped.

Like so much SS stuff it's a bit of a contradiction, if it was me, I would change them but then again I am a stickler for regulations, although I do like the way that the Germans (even the SS) seemed to just wear what they liked.

you might think of them as SS rifle regiment straps which they would have been up until '42 i think it was. GvB was formed in '43.
    the cuff title goes on at that point, but the straps, already being worn on this tunic stay because replacements were perhaps not easily available at the time and place?

just thinking out loud here.

i don't know. plausible?

bearing in mind Adrian's comment, i think the combination definitely stands a chance of being OK.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast