Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 32 of 94 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 ... LastLast

1000 Post Helmet World Tour!

Article about: After Dave (sscrooge), a short trip to Ireland to see young Patrick, then Belgium and the world. 5 more stops and it will be in Russia mate, maybe for the second time

Default Re: 1000 Post Helmet World Tour!

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    lol....... bless you Chris, I would have been more impressed than upset though. To 'break' an M40 would be a difficult task
    I know, silly right?

But the Danish Postal Services have never been known for being gentle with deliveries.
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1000 Post Helmet World Tour!
    P
    Many

Quote by Little Mermaid View Post
    I know, silly right?

But the Danish Postal Services have never been known for being gentle with deliveries.
    Not any postal service is gentle!
    Still strange they came lose, as I taped them to the bottom of the box, in a plastic bag!!
    I have a contract with a private postal service,that I use occasionaly, in wich they say that parcels must resist a shock when falling from 90 cm high and must be resistant to a 90kg pressure!
    I think that is quiet something.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    Not any postal service is gentle!
    Still strange they came lose, as I taped them to the bottom of the box, in a plastic bag!!
    I have a contract with a private postal service,that I use occasionaly, in wich they say that parcels must resist a shock when falling from 90 cm high and must be resistant to a 90kg pressure!
    I think that is quiet something.
    |<
    The first thing that came to mind was... oh oh, loose liner band!! I didn´t think about the helmet having no liner band and liner.
    Anyhow, I´ll try and take some good shots over the weekend. We are expecting a severe snowstorm but hopefully it won´t be that bad - if anything at all. I have to keep the helmet for a few weeks as I´ll hopefully be able to go to Copenhagen soon.....
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

If I'm next on the list, I wouldn't mind if you held onto it for a while, I'm in a different part of the country until early may, so I wouldn't be able to take pictures for a while myself.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

I think you are next after me and I´ll keep it for as long as you want. That is actually perfect because in that case I can take it to Copenhagen in April.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Hello!

I have just returned from a long and very cold walk to our local frozen lake - it really is winter here now and we are waiting for a snowstorm to arrive. People are stocking up on food and other goods. I wanted to take some photos now just in case I won´t be able to over the next couple of days.

Near the lake are the ruins of an old convent, in the summer it is unfortunately used by people from our local high school; they go there to drink and act crazy.
    There are only ruins left from the catholic convent, which was so central in the early days of Maribo history. It was established in the 15th century with both a monk and a nun part. The convent did not survive the reformation and the last monk left in mid 16th century. The convent continued for 75 years as a secular monestary.

The first Bridgettine abbey in Denmark was established in 1416 in the town of Skimminge on a gift of land (Grimstrup) from Queen Margaret I[1] and supplemented by her heir, Eric of Pomerania. Monks from the mother house of the Bridgettine Order, Vadstena Abbey in Sweden, were dispatched to set up a daughter house. At the same time the town, renamed "Marienbo" (later Maribo), received a city charter[2] which gave it privileges from interference by local nobles. The new foundation received papal confirmation in 1418.

Construction had begun on the quire of Skimminge church some time before 1408. The existing work on the church was apparently incorporated into the new abbey church which was completed by 1470. It was built in Gothic style in red brick, the most common building material of the day in the region. It was rectangular with a nave and two side aisles the same height as the nave and choir.

Bridgettine abbeys were double monasteries, meaning that they contained both nuns and canons.[3] The order stipulated that the complement of a house should be 60 nuns, 13 canons, four deacons and eight lay brothers. The conventual buildings consisted of two separate sections, with nuns on the north side and canons on the south. The abbess kept order among the nuns and had ultimate control of the abbey; the 13 canons were led by the general confessor.

At its height, Maribo Abbey owned several manors and over 400 farms, making it one of Denmark's great landowners in the Middle Ages.

Denmark became officially Lutheran in October 1536 when the King and State Council adopted the Lutheran Ordinances. Reformation of local churches had been occurring since the mid 1520's, but after 1536 the government closed all religious houses. Although Maribo Abbey was dissolved as a religious institution, the nuns were permitted to live out their lives, without state assistance until 1551. Some of the nuns apparently went to Mariager Abbey on Jutland where the last nun died in 1588. A few of the nuns stayed on at Maribo.

In 1556 the abbey was organized into a Lutheran house of secular canonesses for the use of unmarried noblewomen.[4] In August of that year King Christian III visited Maribo to witness the induction of a young woman into the Lutheran abbey. Lady Mette Marsvinsdatter was named abbess and given control over the vast estates which funded the community once again. Lady Drude Pogvisk was named prioress, Lady Mette's second in command. After the king's visit, a number of noble families paid to accommodate their unmarried daughters or sisters at the abbey for the rest of their lives, unless a marriage prospect arose. These women were not nuns, although their days were supposed to be filled with Protestant religious activity and good works.

The abbey's renewal was not without its critics. Already in 1563 the Lutheran Bishop of Fyn, who had responsibility for Maribo, received complaints that the abbey was harboring Roman Catholics. Allegations of the continued prayers for the souls of the dead, the singing of Catholic hymnns, the refusal to listen to the Lutheran pastor's sermons (he was heckled in church), and the resumption of the habit of the Bridgettines were all cited as proof that the abbey was "corrupting" the women who went to live there. In subsequent years the charges became even worse: the abbey was opened to anyone who wanted to visit; the women fought openly and refused to comply with the rule or the abbess; many were drunk on a regular basis, drinking up the fourteen barrels of beer received each year as rent and more. It was also asserted that women's rooms were used as brothels for any young nobleman who wandered inside.

In 1596 Maribo's parish church burned down, and the abbey church became also the parish church for the town. The abbey was closed down in 1621, and its buildings and estates given to Sorø Academy as an income property. Most of the buildings were torn down for building materials, leaving only the church still in use.
    Cathedral

In 1803 when the Diocese of Lolland-Falster was created, Maribo Abbey church became its cathedral. The church had fallen into disrepair with such a small town to support it. In the 1860s the church was restored and a new, slender west tower built to replace the old one. The former abbey church has five bells in its tower: the oldest, from the original abbey church by an unknown maker, cracked and was removed from the tower in 1996.
    New Bridgettine nuns

Maribo once again has a Bridgettine community, though not in the same location as the old one, which has protected status: the Habitaculum Mariæ Abbey was established in Maribo in 2006.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1000 Post Helmet World Tour!   1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  

1000 Post Helmet World Tour!   1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  

1000 Post Helmet World Tour!   1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  

Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

I wanted to get a photo taken of me wearing the helmet but on my own it was not really an option, so I asked an elderly couple who were out walking their dog if they could help me. The man asked me why on Earth I was holding an old German helmet and when I explained why, he said, "I´m glad to hear that relics (?) from the war can actually still serve a purpose instead of being thrown away and then forgotten about. I wish you all the best of luck on your helmet journey". I think he got the idea that the helmet is mine...

Anyway, that is all for today - it was and is bloody cold! I will try and go someplace else later on.

PS. Don´t tease me, I know my signature and drawing are really ghastly, but I´m not gifted in that way!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1000 Post Helmet World Tour!   1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  

1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Signature looks fine and it does indeed look bloody cold !!!

Krad is going to get a pink flag drawing from me!
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Hmm, does look a little pink I guess..........but you are a girl after all !

Page 32 of 94 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 82 ... LastLast