Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 56 of 94 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 ... LastLast

1000 Post Helmet World Tour!

Article about: After Dave (sscrooge), a short trip to Ireland to see young Patrick, then Belgium and the world. 5 more stops and it will be in Russia mate, maybe for the second time

?

Christ, Its going to be -40 below when it gets here. Or Christmas. Maybe I will take it with me to Phoenix to warm up LOL.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1000 Post Helmet World Tour!
    P
    Many

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Hi guys and thanks for your kind comments.
    Nicos Cyprus is also full of ancient sites like Greece. Wherever you start digging you find ancient ruins.
    MMM.interestign.Would love to digg cause my dream was to be archaiologist but dont now what will happen if i find ancient items xaxaxaxaxa

Quote by herrzark View Post
    MMM.interestign.Would love to digg cause my dream was to be archaiologist but dont now what will happen if i find ancient items xaxaxaxaxa
    I think i know haha
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

UPDATE:

Sorry for the late update but due to rainfall i couldn't take the helmet out for a walk the past few days.

Yesterday i went to the Statue Of Liberty located in the capital (Nicosia).
    It's a symbol of the struggle of Cypriots against British rule. It is also known as the struggle of EOKA (National Organisation of Cypriot Fighters) which took place from 1955 till 1959.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1000 Post Helmet World Tour!   1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  

1000 Post Helmet World Tour!   1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  

In this area you can also see the medieval Venetian walls.
    Opposite you can see part of a medieval aqueduct.

This Venetian fortification complex has a circumference of 3 miles, and contains eleven pentagon-shaped bastions named after eleven families, pillars of the Italian aristocracy of the town, who donated funds towards the construction of the walls and the three gates: Porta San Domenico (Paphos Gate), Porta Guiliana (Famagusta Gate), and Porta del Proveditore (Kyrenia Gate). Experts have considered the walls to be a prime example of 16th century military architecture. Their design incorporates specific innovative techniques, marking the beginning of a renaissance era in fortification construction. These include the positioning of gates to the side of the adjoining bastions, so they could be more easily protected in times of siege, and leaving the upper half of the wall unlined with masonry, to increase its ability to absorb the impact from cannon shot.

In 1567, the Venetians commissioned the Italian military engineers Giulio Savorgnano and Franscesco Barbaro to design new fortifications for the city of Nicosia to protect the inhabitants from imminent Ottoman attack. The new walls replaced the old-style medieval fortifications which engineers deemed inadequate to defend the city. The Venetians demolished several churches and palaces within the city as well as buildings lying outside the new walls, both for the acquisition of building materials and for a clearer field of vision for the defence of the city.
    At the same time, the Pedieos River was diverted outside the city either to protect the residents from flooding or to fill the moat encircling the new walls.
    Nonetheless, these fortifications were in vain, and the city fell to the forces of the Ottoman admiral Lala Mustafa Pasha in 1570 before the Venetians had completed their construction. The Ottomans captured the bastions almost intact, and they remained almost unchanged until the British era.

Source: wikipedia
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1000 Post Helmet World Tour!   1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  

Here is a picture showing how the city was fortified during the Venetian rule in Medieval times.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  

Today i went to another monument. It's dedicated to EOKA fighter Michael Karaolis.

Michalis Karaolis (1934-1956) was born in the village of Palechori of Pitsilia, Cyprus. He was a government clerk and a member of EOKA. He was the first to be sentenced to death and hanged alongside Andreas Dimitriou on May 10, 1956.[1]
    On August 28, 1955 he carried out the public murder of P.C. Michael Poullis, a Cypriot police officer, of the Special Branch who had been spying on the Nicosia groups of EOKA and interfering with their work. The assassination was carried out in broad daylight whilst P.C. Poullis was on duty at an AKEL meeting at the Ledra Palace.[2]
    Karaolis was captured on his way to meet Grigoris Afxentiou's guerillas in the Kyrenia mountains, following General George Grivas' orders.[3]
    Field Marshal Harding chose to announce Karaolis death sentence on October 28, an important Greek national holiday marking the refusal of Greece to surrender to the Axis Powers in the Second World War, and that hugely inflamed public feeling.[4]
    He was 22 years old when he was executed for the murder of P.C. Poullis and buried in the Imprisoned Graves in the Central Jail of Nicosia.[5]
    The hangings were condemned internationally and caused serious demonstrations and unrest in Greece. The Athens police failed to suppress a huge demonstration and a riot developed in which 7 people were killed and 200 people were injured. The Mayor of Athens protested by taking a hammer to a commemorative marble plaque dedicated in honor of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip while a crowd cheered and applauded and there were many more similar scenes in Greece.[6]

Source: wikipedia

1000 Post Helmet World Tour!  

Next a WWII memorial honoring the 35.000 Cypriots who fought with the allies against Axis. Cyprus was still part of the British Colony at the time and Winston Churchill had promised to give Cypriots there freedom if they helped them with the war effort. Unfortunately he didn't keep his promise.
    This memorial has engraved the names of the Cypriots who are buried in war cemeteries abroad such as Greece, Italy, Yugoslavia, Germany etc

I will take it to one more place and then it's going to Doug

It should be sent to the eastern part of the USA first - that is,
    if it's ever going to make it this far one day.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 56 of 94 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 ... LastLast