Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

150 $ helmet i just bought 10 mins ago

Article about: I got off work and went to my antique shop to look really quick and flirt with the owner, anyways, I started to flirt with this. She just got it in the store along with a german practice gre

You've gone down the path of stripping this lid now and there's no turning back. I see green paint on the liner (in post #8) so I'd say the entire surface is post war played-with. If you've got the time and patience to continue carefully removing the outer coat then you might end up with ...something.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 150 $ helmet i just bought 10 mins ago
    P
    Many

So the whole outside has a coat off post war paint? Need to take more off? ..great op en a can of worms

Thats just my opinion, feel free to take it on board or ignore as you wish.

Well I cant tell if it has a layer of post war paint on the shell, how can you tell whats post war or not ?

Hi Mr Potts, for me the whole outer shell paint scheme is a post war re-paint, it's hard to put it into words as it is experience of handling many helmets that makes me feel that the paint just does not "sit right". I do not think you have lost anything stripping those crappy decals off of it personally and for 150 bucks you did very well as I decent liner makes nearly that alone! Leon.

It does have a post war finish on it. Comes up with rubbing alcohol. I have some non toxic like mineral spirits I'm going to try next. What should the original color be? Probably the same color inside the shed my guess?. I ha dB to get those decals off and it wasn't easy so at this rate I'm going to play around with it. I think 150 bucks and some fun is worth it also. It's still a solid piece ...why not right?

Got rid of all the post war paint and there was a lot. they stripped it pretty good before painting the whole deal. Came out of, better then having all that shit on. Now I will list it on ebay. It was a fun project

?

Quote by MrPotts View Post
    It does have a post war finish on it. Comes up with rubbing alcohol. I have some non toxic like mineral spirits I'm going to try next. What should the original color be? Probably the same color inside the shed my guess?. I ha dB to get those decals off and it wasn't easy so at this rate I'm going to play around with it. I think 150 bucks and some fun is worth it also. It's still a solid piece ...why not right?
    A product called " Goof Off " is good for removing modern paint. Since it is screwed anyway give it a shot. If you do not use a heavy hand there may be some original paint under the crap. Model 40 Qs are fairly common so no great loss there.
    I hear the purists moaning.

A lot of elbow grease and There is some paint left. It would be a good project to restore it. They took a lot of the paint off before they re painted it. Im sure someone will do something to it and make it a 100% original camo helmet or something on ebay . I have it on ebay now, it was a fun project and Of course ill get my money back. It wasn't the plan from the get go, wanted to get that crap off it, must of bin my compulsive behavior.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4