Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1940 german helmet-

Article about: Personally for that small amount of \\$ I would strip it and see if there is anything worthwhile underneath, you never know John

Default 1940 german helmet-

I just purchased this off ebay for 60 bucks. i was told that it was a 1940 helmet with a small head size possible hj helmet. original shell,post war liner, and he put the wire and paint job on it. he said he didnt see any visible numbers on the shell as most paint is worn off and remaining paint inside may be covering it. anyone have input on this item? i think its a neat find for the price and im thinking since there realy isn't any paint leftit wouldn't hurt it to refurbish the outer shell. id like to keep the wire wrap too-
    Im new to collecting german helmets so this is my first real purchase

if anyone has any info by looking at the pictures or sugestions feel free to reply! thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 german helmet-   1940 german helmet-  

1940 german helmet-   1940 german helmet-  

1940 german helmet-  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1940 german helmet-
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1940 german helmet-

interesting use of colors for camouflauge,,,it would hurt to refurb this helmet

TheCroatian
    ?

Yup, M40, post war liner for sure. Something about the 2nd pic that doesnt sit well with me, could be a post war boarder guard helmet esp. with no #s visible...or it could be good and the liner is just overly distracting. However it does look a little pitted along the rear rim.

Id say try to gently strip the paint and see what lays underneath, more than likely you will find a rusty shell...

The wire cage looks stronger than the helmet! I have to say that if it was mine I would remove the wire and replace it with something more accurate. But if you are happy with it it doesn't really matter what others may think - and you can't really grumble at the price can you?

?

For the time, energy and money it will cost you to refurbish this for $250 you could have bought a no decal M40 that needs no refurbishment with an original liner and no neon paint job, fake wire and postwar liner. In fact once you strip this one down you will find a pitted out shell.

Just in case you didnt know that or what was out there.

PS I am not sure what input you are looking for. Any input about this helmet would place it in the Resto and Refurb section as there is nothing to discuss with this from the period this forum section is about.

?

Quote by militarymania View Post
    interesting use of colors for camouflauge,,,it would hurt to refurb this helmet
    I really hope you are joking or this is a typo.

Quote by DougB View Post
    For the time, energy and money it will cost you to refurbish this for $250 you could have bought a no decal M40 that needs no refurbishment with an original liner and no neon paint job, fake wire and postwar liner. In fact once you strip this one down you will find a pitted out shell.

PS I am not sure what input you are looking for. Any input about this helmet would place it in the Resto and Refurb section as there is nothing to discuss with this from the period this forum section is about.
    My thoughts exactly

?

Quote by DougB View Post

My thoughts on this as well i'm afraid , it was cheap but it's awful
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

It is an obvious relic, so I would'nt bother stripping it, there will be nothing left underneath, so just slap some better paint on top and leave as is, anything else would be a waste of time, effort and money, IMO

Jerry

?

BTW when I look at my first German helmet I purchased years ago I want to cry today. At least you posted it up and that is how we learn, and never stop learning! Cheers
    Doug

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast