Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

2 German Helmets, Flag, Pennant

Article about: In cleaning out my grandmother's basement I stumbled across these items. I do not have much information about them- and they could have come from anywhere as my grandfather was stationed eve

TylerDurden
    ?

Default 2 German Helmets, Flag, Pennant

In cleaning out my grandmother's basement I stumbled across these items. I do not have much information about them- and they could have come from anywhere as my grandfather was stationed everywhere from Italy to the Phillipeans as a Lt. Col. in the Army during the war. (She has no idea where they came from)

I attached pictures of both helmets -They are pretty much identical except that one of them has what must be the complete, original liner (the leather is very delicate- almost brittle to the touch) while the second helmet does not have a liner. Also On the lined helmet- the number '11' is engraved on the inside.
    The swastika / mini eagle carrying a swastika are of the same design on both.

I also have a cloth flag 45" long, 35" tall, sown with the black swastika on a white circular background.

I am very interested appraisal / sale but as a newbie I am looking for advice / comments- I have no information about the items / Cant comment as to 'real' or 'fake' except that I am certain they are old enough- Which is obvious from the leather / texture of the helmets and flags- but they do appear to have been painted?
    (aka what you see is what you get...)

Please let me know if you would like pictures from a different angel / from a higher resolution.

Also- if your in the DC area and have recommendations about collectors please let me know- Definitely willing to work out a mutually beneficial arrangement!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2 German Helmets, Flag, Pennant   2 German Helmets, Flag, Pennant  

2 German Helmets, Flag, Pennant   2 German Helmets, Flag, Pennant  

2 German Helmets, Flag, Pennant  

2. # ADS

Default Re: 2 German Helmets, Flag, Pennant

the helmets might be vet brings backs with "war art" painted on by the returning soldier. The markings (eagle and swastika) are not German made. I've seen a lot of helmets that were painted by the returning GI's as souvenirs. Pretty cool looking!

Rob