Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

2 new beaded helmets for my collection.

Article about: I have been looking for a good deal on a beaded helmet and found one about a week ago and got it.A few days later found another one so cheap I had to get it. They are both M40 different line

Default Re: 2 new beaded helmets for my collection.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to compare your luftschutz to mine. I feel like the combat liner in mine is a thinner type of leather... maybe even made from a different type of animal.
    Post a picture of your helmet,always nice to see other collectors stuff.
    chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Post a picture of your helmet,always nice to see other collectors stuff.
    chris
    You're going to regret asking to see pictures of my beaded M40... I originally started it's life as a Luftschutz helmet. It was then reissued as a police helmet, painted apple green and was given nazi party and police decals. It was then brought to America as a veteran bring-back. THEN someone painted it black I assume to use as a motorcycle helmet. THEN someone threw it out... it arrived at my family's recycling company. Our machine operator didn't see it in time... and it went through the grinder which makes chunks of garbage smaller so our workers can pick out recyclable materials. This is how I found it:

Here you can see the nazi party decal. You can see where the biker left off the black paint so the "cool looking nazi sign" poked out.

Luckily the interior survived. You can see the original luftschutz blue, and the police apple green repaint. The liner is named and it, along with the chinstrap are in pretty good shape considering the hell they went through (I've seen our grinder rip apart a car door...)

I feel so bad that I wasn't able to save it from its fate of being grinded. In it's current condition, it's worthless. As such, I'm getting it restored so it looks like it was damaged in the war, and not in an industrial tub grinder.

That is too bad someone had to trash it.
    the liner looks in good condition.
    chris

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    That is too bad someone had to trash it.
    the liner looks in good condition.
    chris
    Yeah, I was pretty upset when I found it.

Here's the rest of my small collection. Not pictured are a Spanish Modelo Z, French M26, British turtle, and the shell of a M1 fixed bale, front seam along with some German feldpost letters and postcards, American ration booklets, and a Chilean Mauser style bayonet.

Nice collection,good display.
    chris

Way to go Chris! You are keeping your eyes peeled for deals. You must be getting too much sleep. Give your wife a break old boy!

Take care,
    Jay

Do you mind if I ask your strategy for collecting helmets? How did you come across two great helmets in the same week?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Do you mind if I ask your strategy for collecting helmets? How did you come across two great helmets in the same week?
    I was on the look-out for a deal on a beaded helmet for a couple of years now.
    You just have to look and look.
    chris

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Way to go Chris! You are keeping your eyes peeled for deals. You must be getting too much sleep. Give your wife a break old boy!

Take care,
    Jay
    She is having a break she is in Raytown this week.
    I am still in Chicago.
    chris

Where do you look? Online at antique stores? Yard sales?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast