Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Am I missing something here?!? M-42

Article about: Hello all, In a neighboring County I found this M-42 at a antique mall. The gentleman running the booth was very kind, but had many reproduction. Besides this helmet, there wasn't to many go

Default Am I missing something here?!? M-42

Hello all,
    In a neighboring County I found this M-42 at a antique mall. The gentleman running the booth was very kind, but had many reproduction. Besides this helmet, there wasn't to many good items. I am not a helemt guy at all, but I am interested. The only problem is the price tag; $675!!! I've done a little research on it, but can't seem to find anything which would make it so valuable. The paint is in good condition, the liner is in fair condition, and the chin-strap is missing. The color is a dark green, and there is no decal. It's numbered (CKL06) and 337. This makes it made by Eisenhuttenwerke, Thale? Not sure on that, but the best info. I could find being im not a helmet guy. I believe this helmet to be 100% original. What I can't seem to figure out is the reasoning for the price set. In my research i've found that sold items which resemble this one sale for around $400. Is there something special I am missing? Or is this just over priced? Sorry about the quality of pictures, he wouldn't let me go outside with it. :/ Thanks in advance for any information and or help.
    Am I missing something here?!? M-42Am I missing something here?!? M-42Am I missing something here?!? M-42Am I missing something here?!? M-42Am I missing something here?!? M-42Am I missing something here?!? M-42Am I missing something here?!? M-42

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Am I missing something here?!? M-42
    P
    Many

Default Re: Am I missing something here?!? M-42

You are correct, that is overpriced, 400 is about right for a plain original M42, I could see maybe if it was minty and had an original chin strap, but you can get a nice single decal heer or luft M40 for around his asking price, and the 06 is really 66 which is the size of the helmet.

I don't see anything special about it, but there again i'm no expert. It really does not seem to be worth $675 to me!..

I don't think you are missing anything. The guy probably just isn't familiar with the value of these types of items. In all fairness it is his item so he can ask what he wants for it; doesn't mean that he is going to get it.
    Thanks, Glen.

Most dealers/sellers at Antique Malls rent their stalls, and you'll find
    everything is likely over-priced to compensate. Sometimes I think
    they must pull numbers out of a hat - or do not reseach enough
    to know exactly what they have, or the going rate.

Make an offer of $450 cash - tax included.
    You never know.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Dealers also up the price to leave room for negotiating. I agree with Steve, throw 450 cash total at him and see what he says. If it has been sitting around for a while he may take it, or make a small counter offer. That's how I got a nice WWI uniform with mint helmet and personal effects. It sat in the case for a year (more than that I think) and eventually dropped from $950 to $500 and I got it for $390 plus tax. I wouldn't go more than $475 on it depending on how much I wanted it.

Thanks guys for all the replies. Means a lot. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something special about this one. I'm going to offer him 400 and explain that it is over priced, along with showing him some comparable items which have sold for 400. He is also interested in trading, so who knows. Thanks again everyone!

Add I'm also not dying to have a M-42 so I will have that going for me. Sometimes when I "have to have something" I tend to show my cards a little to much.

It's a nice helmet in a desirable size, but $350 would be the most I would go for it because it is missing one of the chinstrap bales. If I were you I would save my money for a nice complete one for just a few hundred dollars more.

Corey

?

I'd pass altogether. A nice no decal with strap can be found for $500. I sold 3 near perfect examples for $500 a pop not long ago.

Agreed Corey, and thanks for the input. I am however going to see what type of trade he is willing to negotiate.

Add: Thanks Doug! I'm a little late I guess, but would have loved to see the M-42 you speck of. And I agree with you as well. I am tring to upgrade the condition of my collection.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast