Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Camo for Opinions if you would

Article about: Another online dealer selling what appears to be a nice one BUT I don't know a lot but learning quickly. Thank you in advance.

?

Default Another Camo for Opinions if you would

Another online dealer selling what appears to be a nice one BUT I don't know a lot but learning quickly.
    Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another Camo for Opinions if you would
    P
    Many

Not sure what to make of the liner, kind of looks like an aged repro to me but I could be wrong.
    Luis

Not getting a good feeling from this one. The paint on the interior of the dome looks more like a dark feldgrau while it appears that the inside of the rear skirt has been painted a different colour which is odd. You would expect this with a winter white wash for example but not a completely different colour to the camo and the dome interior.

I don’t think the paint in the skirt has the patina of the 70 year old helmet. The liner appears to have been stained/darkened to age it while the rivet appears to have recent rust however this could be due to how the helmet has been stored post war i.e. rust that has appeared recently.

Just my opinion. Let’s see what others think.

?

Did they stain the liner as they did in WW1?

?

Hey Andrew
    My question is would you bother staining or even aging the liner if you could do such a good job faking that sort of camo?
    And I see the split pin that doesn't seem to have been removed.

I agree with Andy on this. Also, i believe the liner to be an aged repro.
    Nick

?

Ok I'd believe that as I can see discrepancies within the leather. I've done similar to one of my own when replacing a liner.
    I also see the inside rim may have been painted but it's almost like it's too haphazard to try and fool anyone.

And the camo paint?

Hi Wayne, the liners in WW2 lids were pigskin, goat skin or sheep skin and to my knowledge were never tanned/chromed like some WW1 liners. While the camo appears impressive from the photos there are some amazing ‘artists’ out there and without seeing it in hand it’s a tough call.

Perhaps someone has applied a leather product to the liner or they have tried to age it I’m not sure but it certainly doesn’t look correct. The paint in the skirt for me is a major red flag. It should really match the paint in the dome if that is original but hard to see from the photos.

Does the helmet come with any provenance? Is there an inspection period and return policy? If I was paying big money I would expect it.

Here’s a link to a thread about fakes. Check out the camo on page 4. It’s frightening how good these fakers are and they need to be as it’s big money.

Fake German Steel helmets

?

Yes I've seen those amazing 'painters' hence why I'm here, I just don't know enough.
    The inside rim has definitely been painted post war but why and from what I see and what I said prior it's too rough for deception purposes.

I'm not at that stage of asking him about provenance or conditions of sale yet as I'd prefer people like yourself to tell me what they see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast